Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Erev yom kippur menu?
Previous  1  2

pause

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 10:03 am
We do very traditional food for erev yom kippur, pretty much what I serve on a standard Shabbas.
Challah , dips
cooked salmon and gefilte fish
chicken soup with kreplach
roasted chicken bottoms and chicken from the soup
potato kugel
ferfel
tzimmes
applesauce

Shuly

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:21 pm
We eat fish and soup with kreplach by the first meal and chicken by the second meal. I'll probably make an easy vegetable and brown rice for the second meal too.

emunahmother

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:48 pm
I see so many serve soup with kreplach. How do I make them? I've only had them maybe twice.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:53 pm
emunahmother wrote:
I see so many serve soup with kreplach. How do I make them? I've only had them maybe twice.

I found a recipe on kosher.com. Search "kreplach" on their site.

mamaleh

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 2:31 pm
emunahmother wrote:

Mine are very simple:
Buy the doughs. I like Mazor (or Yitzys- same company) ravioli doughs. I've tried others and never been happy with them.
Filling:
Sauté 1-2 diced onions (small pieces work best) until translucent. Add 1 pound ground meat and salt &a pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often until meat is browned and broken up. Let cool a little then add some matza meal to absorb the liquid (it keeps the filling much moister). You can also add other spices to taste, Paprika, chili powder, dill, cumin, curry, just about anything you like- I like to keep mine plain although I do add a squirt of mustard sometimes.

Defrost the doughs and fill with cooled filling. Pinch well and cook in boiling salted water (like pasta) till done, about 10-12 min. Drain and serve.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 3:08 pm
We are having

soup and kreplach
Meatballs with mushrooms and peas
Pearl Couscous
Lots of fruit and drinks

After the fast, chicken and rice and everything bagel greenbeans

emunahmother

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 3:22 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Mine are very simple:
Buy the doughs. I like Mazor (or Yitzys- same company) ravioli doughs. I've tried others and never been happy with them.
Filling:
Sauté 1-2 diced onions (small pieces work best) until translucent. Add 1 pound ground meat and salt &a pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often until meat is browned and broken up. Let cool a little then add some matza meal to absorb the liquid (it keeps the filling much moister). You can also add other spices to taste, Paprika, chili powder, dill, cumin, curry, just about anything you like- I like to keep mine plain although I do add a squirt of mustard sometimes.

Defrost the doughs and fill with cooled filling. Pinch well and cook in boiling salted water (like pasta) till done, about 10-12 min. Drain and serve.

Thank you so much. I always thought it was made with ground chicken.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 3:34 pm
emunahmother wrote:

It can be made with either.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 3:37 pm
emunahmother wrote:

There is a minhag not to have meat on erev Y"K, so it's often made with either ground chicken or shredded cooked chicken.

mamaleh

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 3:53 pm
emunahmother wrote:

Our minhag is to bedavka make it with meat because it symbolizes Hashem covering over our (red) sins with (white) rachamim. I know people who make it with chicken, but mostly because (for kashrut and/or health reasons) they use very little, if any, beef.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 5:13 pm
Were having:
challah
chicken soup
chicken cutlets
kugel, or potatoes
watermelon

twogees

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 7:10 pm
having challah
soup and kreplach
chicken and potatos

not sure about the second seudah yet. probably going to do the same thing.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 8:08 pm
pesek zman wrote:
2 meals?

yes, 2 seudas - that's what we do. Perhaps others do different.
one seudah around lunch time.
The second seudah - Seudas Hamafsekes starts about 1.5 hours (appr.) before the fast starts.
Gives you time to eat relaxed and finish a bit earlier than the required time, and thus can clear up from the meal and bentsch lecht on time. I use disposable dishes, so have very little dishes to wash from the seudah.
I also serve more bland tasting food at the second seudah and no fish and garlicy foods, so that one shouldn't get thirsty from spicy, salty foods. I also don't serve fried heavy food so not to be heavy on the digestive system.

From my personal experience with fasting, I found if I did not stuff myself at the 2nd seudah but ate till felt satisfied, and drank loads in between meals, I fasted much better.
Re drinking: spread out your drinks, like every 20 mins. Don't suddenly remember that u didn't drink enought and down 4 cups at one time. It will all just "flow" out of you, whereas spreading out your drinking throughout the day keeps you hydrated.

A renowned frum doctor told me that on the day Erev the fast, to drink a cup of milk in the morning, and throughout the day to drink naturally sweetened drinks - he recommended strongly to drink grape juice - used for kiddush on Shabbos, b/c it has natural sweetners and gives energy.

Since I find drinking several cups of grape juice to be too heavy for me, I dilute it.

An easy fast to dearest all. Smile

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 8:11 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Our minhag is to bedavka make it with meat because it symbolizes Hashem covering over our (red) sins with (white) rachamim. I know people who make it with chicken, but mostly because (for kashrut and/or health reasons) they use very little, if any, beef.

so beautiful. Kein yehi ratzon.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur