Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Who decided that Raisins and Oatmeal are a good Shidduch??

Blossom

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 8:23 pm
Seriously, where do the two come together. I know it's already a legend but wouldn't chocolate chips instead of the raisins make a much better combination?
I LOVE LOVE oatmeal and I don't LOVE raisins. I could eat it just alone but don't like it with other foods.
Almost ALL oatmeal recipes call for raisins.
And there's a big oatmeal cookie in Shick's bakery that looks Yummy and if only it would be chocolate chips instead of the raisins. I almost feel like telling them to make one just for me because that cookie looks SUPER YUMMY and I really wanna buy it lol.

Blossom

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 10:42 pm
OH and if anybody has a good oatmeal recipe WITHOUT raisins Tongue Out ......please share.

aspring

Post Thu, Aug 09 2007, 10:48 pm
Why dont you just make the oatmeal raisin cookie recipe without the oatmeal or put in chocolate chips instead Wink

chen

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 5:27 am
aspring wrote:
Why dont you just make the oatmeal raisin cookie recipe without the oatmeal or put in chocolate chips instead Wink

Just what I was thinking. A cookie recipe is not halocho lemoshe misinai, for goodness' sake. You want chips, put in chips. you want coconut, put in coconut. you want nothing at all, put in nothing at all. Just don't call them oatmeal RAISIN cookies.

Helani

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 5:34 am
I just made yummy chocolate chunk walnut oatmeal cookies-no raisins

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 5:51 am
okay I hear you ... but guess what ... I make cookies all the time and only 1 of my kids won't eat it cause of the raisins ... sometimes I split the recipe before the raisins go in and switch choc chips in half - just for her ...

chen

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 5:52 am
greenfire wrote:
okay I hear you ... but guess what ... I make cookies all the time and only 1 of my kids won't eat it cause of the raisins ... sometimes I split the recipe before the raisins go in and switch choc chips in half - just for her ...

what a mother doesn't do for her kids...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 7:46 am
My mom always felt that baked goods weren't "healthy" and thusly tried to "healthy them up"; choc chip cookies were always "oatmeal choc chip", for example.

I never ever make them as an adult, never!!!

Helani

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 7:54 am
chocolate moose wrote:
My mom always felt that baked goods weren't "healthy" and thusly tried to "healthy them up"; choc chip cookies were always "oatmeal choc chip", for example.

I never ever make them as an adult, never!!!

I like some oatmeal in my choco chip cookies, it gives them a nice chewy texture.

YALT

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 8:12 am
I make the recipe from the cover of the Quaker box*.

I NEVER make it with raisins.
I always substitute the raisins for either craisins or chocolate chips.
Everyone loves them!!

* I altered the recipe a bit cuz otherwise they're too sweet.
I switched around the sugars.

The recipe is:
1 c. margarine
½ c. brown sugar
1 c. reg. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1½ c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
3 c. oats
1 c. craisins / chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.
Beat margarine & sugars until creamy.
Add eggs & vanilla. Beat well.
Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt. Mix into mixture.
Add oats & choc. chips/craisins (or raisins, if you insist)

For cookies:
Drop spoonfuls unto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 10-12 minutes.
Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet. Remove to wire rack, or wherever.
Makes about 4 dozen.

For Bar Cookies:
Put in ungreased 9x13 pan.
Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Hearty appetite!
You can send some to me, if you make them!

Blossom

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 11:59 am
chen wrote:
aspring wrote:

Just what I was thinking. A cookie recipe is not halocho lemoshe misinai, for goodness' sake. You want chips, put in chips. you want coconut, put in coconut. you want nothing at all, put in nothing at all. Just don't call them oatmeal RAISIN cookies.

I assume you meant without the raisins Smile . Yeah I know it's not Toras Moshe lol I'm just wondering who in the world put them together and made it a legendary that if it's oatmeal there must be raisins in it.
Thanks Yalt for posting the recipe...I would love to try it.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Aug 10 2007, 2:32 pm
I just made oatmeal raisin cookies last week but switched the raisins for choc chips - much nicer. I don't love raisins either except in raisin bran.

Ima'la

Post Sat, Aug 11 2007, 4:34 pm
I think choc. chips are weird with the cinnamon, but when I'm out of raisins, I make the Quaker recipe and just leave them out - still delish!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Aug 11 2007, 8:09 pm
what about substituting dried cranberies for raisins?

Ima'la

Post Sun, Aug 12 2007, 3:58 am
Quote:
Who decided that Raisins and Oatmeal are a good Shidduch??

and I just had to add - is NO shidduch safe from outsiders meddling?!?!?! LOL

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 12 2007, 4:54 am
chen wrote:
greenfire wrote:

what a mother doesn't do for her kids...

well especiallly cause my choc chip cookie recipe does not have oatmeal and she likes the oatmeal ... I used to just make dif recipes - but what can one do but to make the kiddie happy ...

Ima'la wrote:
and I just had to add - is NO shidduch safe from outsiders meddling?!?!?!

lol Nervous - if life were that easy ... sometimes I just say to the raisins "move over the choc chips are coming in too"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins