Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
IRS scary voicemail

Lizajen

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 8:27 pm
I just listened to my answering machine, and heard two messages left, supposedly by the IRS, saying that they've issued an arrest against me. I'm terrified!!

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 8:28 pm
I highly doubt they’d have called and left you a message.

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 8:30 pm
It's a scam. The IRS NEVER calls. Don't think about it for a second more.

zaq

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 8:31 pm
Pure scam scampi on rye. The IRS doesnt do business ovet the phone. They send letters. Delete the message and have a great weekend.

Chloe22

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 8:44 pm
It's a scam! Don't worry about it!

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 8:50 pm
The IRS sends letters and then freezes your bank accounts. They never ever pick up a phone. The only people getting arrested because of the IRS have enough letters and notices to fill a filing cabinet. Trust me you will know well in advance if you are in trouble.

WhatFor

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 9:36 pm
Read this from IRS about scams.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/t.....lerts

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 9:53 pm
Scam!!! The IRS only corresponds via mail. Ignore!

mom2six

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 2:32 am
If you want some free entertainment, YouTube has a bunch of videos of people who attempted to scam them back. Fun to listen to.

life is fun

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 5:32 am
Lizajen wrote:
I just listened to my answering machine, and heard two messages left, supposedly by the IRS, saying that they've issued an arrest against me. I'm terrified!!

Just come over to my place in case you are worried. They won't find you then!! Tongue Out

malky12

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:59 am
dont be afraid to call up the IRS to clarify this or any issue

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 1:06 pm
Lizajen wrote:

Aside from the fact that the call itself was part of a scam, why would you be terrified? Is there a reason for your reaction? I got one of these calls many years ago when I still had a landline and there was no reason for me to be anxious. My taxes were paid and there was no reason for me to overreact.

Bluesky 1

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 1:14 pm
There will probably be a surge in scammers since equifax was hacked. Beware. Don't panic from any of this.

Amalia

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 1:16 pm
Dear OP,

I totally understand you are terrified by this message.

We got a similar call a while ago, and I was so scared, I called my husbund at work. After he reassured me that IRS would never actually call to communicate any messages, he googled "IRS scam calls" (or something similar, I don't remember by now): he saw a request by the actual IRS to please report calls like that, which he did right away. It took him less than a minute. Try it, or ask your husband to do it.

You will be doing both yourself and the real IRS a favor.

We never got any calls like that after that.

miami85

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 6:03 pm
I tried having fun with them when they called me as I know I had just filed my taxes like a week earlier. I deal with certified mail all the time at work and since I knew by the info on this scam that the IRS always sends letters, I asked them if they sent me a letter (also I had just moved) and they said "we sent it certified mail" and I asked, so tell me who signed for it, and they couldn't really tell me, they told me they were coming to arrest me in an hour--I'm still waiting and this was back in March/April.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics