Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
None feminine hobbies
1  2  Next

Do you have none feminine hobbies like, plumbing, electronics, building etc.
Yes many  
 23%  [ 21 ]
None  
 49%  [ 44 ]
Some  
 26%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 89

ShabbosBaby

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 12:45 am
Do you have none feminine hobbies like, plumbing, electronics, building etc.

mandksima

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:04 am
I'm good with my hands BH and have many non-typically feminine hobbies. I used to joke that with another like minded friend of mine, we would open a business to do handymen work done by women for women. Great for those who aren't comfortable with male workers in their house during the day when their husbands aren't home!

Karnash

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:20 am
Are they hobbies when women do them and skills when men do them?
Mandksima that's a great idea, but I think I want to know that my "repairperson" had some professional training if she's going to do electricity and/or plumbing.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:26 am
Why do you call life skills hobbies?

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Boca00

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:27 am
None. I am absolutely not handy. The one scooter and highchair that I assembled have unfortunately never been the same.

The highchair was a 15 min job max, according to my DH. Took me 3 hours, and there's just something off about it to this day.

mandksima

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:47 am
Karnash wrote:
Are they hobbies when women do them and skills when men do them?
Mandksima that's a great idea, but I think I want to know that my "repairperson" had some professional training if she's going to do electricity and/or plumbing.

For sure! I only meant things like using power tools to drill, put up shelves, build furniture, fix walls, paint, reupholster, etc. I would hope no one would have a handyman do plumbing or electrical work!

Karnash

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 2:15 am
Then again - great idea Very Happy Very Happy

Teomima

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 3:31 am
In college I worked at our school's woodshop. I always loved how big guys would come in and I'd get to tell them nope, you're not trained, you can't touch the table saw, I have to cut your wood for you!
I have often considered taking a government-subsidised carpentry course, to become certified here in Israel, but I know it would be full of macho guys that would make the whole experience much harder, and less pleasant, for me. But hey, if any of you ladies want to all sign up together... Very Happy

kiryat sefer

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 4:51 am
I built our sukkah, as a girl for ten years kah! I had no brothers to build it. So that's what I did

water_bear88

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 5:04 am
Teomima wrote:
In college I worked at our school's woodshop. I always loved how big guys would come in and I'd get to tell them nope, you're not trained, you can't touch the table saw, I have to cut your wood for you!
I have often considered taking a government-subsidised carpentry course, to become certified here in Israel, but I know it would be full of macho guys that would make the whole experience much harder, and less pleasant, for me. But hey, if any of you ladies want to all sign up together... Very Happy

Can you take those courses with no experience? I love putting together Ikea furniture but I haven't built anything "from scratch", though I'd love to learn.

mandksima

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 5:14 am
Teomima wrote:

One of my neighbors just took a furniture building course somewhere in the mercaz. I can find out where! Just for women!!

Last edited by mandksima on Fri, Oct 20 2017, 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total

grace413

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 5:39 am
http://www.yedayzahav.co.il/eng.html

Check out this handyperson course.

I am totally uncoordinated so don't do any of these things but I wish I could!

yo'ma

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 7:31 am
Teomima wrote:

When I was younger, I bought myself a book on how to make a wooden dolls house. I really wanted to make it, but my mother didn't let Sad .

Teomima

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 7:42 am
yo'ma wrote:
When I was younger, I bought myself a book on how to make a wooden dolls house. I really wanted to make it, but my mother didn't let Sad .

Oh that's so sad! I'm really sorry! Just this week I was teaching my daughters how to use my drill and they've expressed interest in learning how to use my other power tools, too. In school last year they got practice with several hand tools, making wooden door signs. And they're huge helps when it comes to assembling Ikea furniture. I'm so proud to be raising strong, capable daughters.

momX4

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 8:15 am
As a child I loved to help my father or brothers fix things.

Dh never used a screwdriver. His parents hired a handyman to replace door knobs.

I have put together all the baby things, changed bulbs, door knobs, put together a grill, cribs.... I had my kids help.

I dont touch electricity. Dh took a book out of the library, turned off the main fuse and changed a light switch. Since them he has also changed fixtures!

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 8:31 am
Teomima wrote:

If I were in israel, I would!!!

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 8:31 am
Teomima wrote:

If I were in Israel, I would!!!

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 8:32 am
Teomima wrote:

If I were in Israel, I would!!!

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 8:32 am
mandksima wrote:
I'm good with my hands BH and have many non-typically feminine hobbies. I used to joke that with another like minded friend of mine, we would open a business to do handymen work done by women for women. Great for those who aren't comfortable with male workers in their house during the day when their husbands aren't home!

I have thought about this SO many times!

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 8:37 am
As a child, I always wanted to be helping my father build and fix around the house, instead of helping my mother clean and do lady stuff. I am now a sculptor, B"H! In college, I learned to build with wood and metal, in addition to a huge variety of other art things. I worked as a shop monitor for a couple years, helping people not lose fingers;) When I came to NY to grad school, I was the one everyine came to for advice! It was kind of dissapointing that I had no one to ask by there...

I recently built a loft over my bed:) I am glad, now, that my mother made me learn to cook and clean;)

But I don't like that these are called "non-feminine hobbies." There in nothing not feminine about me in my long skirt and tichel cutting wood on my balcony! It is agravating to me when men assume that I know nothing -- in reality, I know more about building than the average man! But I LOVE the surprise when they realize that I gots skillz;)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics