Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
None feminine hobbies
Previous  1  2

Do you have none feminine hobbies like, plumbing, electronics, building etc.
Yes many  
 23%  [ 21 ]
None  
 49%  [ 44 ]
Some  
 26%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 89

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 9:05 am
I love mowing the lawn, blowing the leaves and doing landscaping. I like connecting with dirt and the earth as well.

yiddishemomy

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 11:35 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Why do you call life skills hobbies?

Maybe cuz it is not only about skill. I love powertools with a passion and get high at the thought of any diy project that needs wood and screws.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 11:38 am
yiddishemomy wrote:
Maybe cuz it is not only about skill. I love powertools with a passion and get high at the thought of any diy project that needs wood and screws.

If that is really the case your passion for power tools is well beyond the hobby phase.

yiddishemomy

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 11:48 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
If that is really the case your passion for power tools is well beyond the hobby phase.

Or I dont allow myself to feel enjoyment yet so I look at it as an addiction Wink

studying_torah

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 12:07 pm
I wish I had these skills! Dh is great at putting things together, but I am sadly totally not.
Though I did manage to hang a few things by myself! (Ok ok I bent some nails trying to go into a stud at first, shhhh)

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 12:35 pm
mandksima wrote:
For sure! I only meant things like using power tools to drill, put up shelves, build furniture, fix walls, paint, reupholster, etc. I would hope no one would have a handyman do plumbing or electrical work!

The use of power tools , building furniture, home repairs etc is not the sole purview of males. This is the 21st century. Please stop assigning gender labels to tasks.

With regards to handypersons, it really depends on your state. I live in a state where they are licensed and must have training and knowledge of the building codes. Handypersons here can do minor electrical and plumbing repairs (replace faucets, stop drips, replace toilets, install dishwashers, change out wall outlets, install lighting fixtures etc.)

Miri7

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 12:51 pm
My father made sure his girls had all the practical skills that are sometimes considered “non feminine”.

I couldn’t get my license until I could change a tire, change my oil and do basic car maintenance. He gave me a mini tool set when I was about 7 or 8. It’s a good thing because my DH was raised in a family that hired handymen to do the most basic of tasks.

Whenever we have something that needs a repair or assembly, my kids say “Ask Ima, she can do it!”

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:01 pm
Miri7 wrote:
My father made sure his girls had all the practical skills that are sometimes considered “non feminine”.

I couldn’t get my license until I could change a tire, change my oil and do basic car maintenance. He gave me a mini tool set when I was about 7 or 8. It’s a good thing because my DH was raised in a family that hired handymen to do the most basic of tasks.

Whenever we have something that needs a repair or assembly, my kids say “Ask Ima, she can do it!”

Yup that's how I was raised. I also enjoyed watching him work around the house and learned a lot just from observation. That's how I learned how to set tiles and do some masonry work. All my kids got a basic set of tools when they moved out, electric driver, level etc. regardless of gender.

It pleases me that none of the major tool makers (Ryobi, Makita, Porter Cable etc) have not done the pink tool thing. I mean it worked for the gun market but darn pink tools do get dirty fast:)

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:28 pm
I voted no, as I have two left hands. You wouldn't want me anywhere near your tools, trust me Tongue Out . But to be honest, it was my mother who was the handy one in the family, and I take after my father, so Rolling Eyes .

CatLady

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 2:43 pm
I love doing projects like painting, tiling, etc. I have a small collection of power tools, even though I'm an apartment dweller. My brother, OTOH, couldn't change a lightbulb on his own. So, definitely not gender-related.

My projects for the upcoming year include repainting my bathroom, building self-watering planters for my balcony and possibly an IKEA-hacked armoire instead of a dresser. If I buy a Murphy bed, I will leave the installation to the professionals.

InnerMe

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:12 am
lavenderchimes wrote:
As a child, I always wanted to be helping my father build and fix around the house, instead of helping my mother clean and do lady stuff. I am now a sculptor, B"H! In college, I learned to build with wood and metal, in addition to a huge variety of other art things. I worked as a shop monitor for a couple years, helping people not lose fingers;) When I came to NY to grad school, I was the one everyine came to for advice! It was kind of dissapointing that I had no one to ask by there...

I recently built a loft over my bed:) I am glad, now, that my mother made me learn to cook and clean;)

This sounds so cool!

imasoftov

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 5:54 am
yiddishemomy wrote:

It's best not to use power tools when high.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 8:29 am
I used to flip fixer houses. I managed all of the interior design, and supervised the crews.

I had an all female teams for painting, plumbing, and electrical work. We got in a few sheet rock guys for the heavy lifting. The women made sure the guys knew who the boss was! Wink

Merrymom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 9:52 am
I think it's because our fathers don't teach us these skills, there's nothing inherently masculine about these things. You tube has taught me so many skills and saved me tons of money. I just finished stripping and old solid wood piece of furniture that a year ago I probably would have thrown out. Unlike new furniture, the drawers never broke, have never given me a problem. Now I'm re-staining it, going to put some polyurethane on it and it will look gorgeous again. I've painted and spackled our walls many times, and my kids can build most things, they just got tired of waiting for their father to do it and you never know what you can accomplish until you try.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:14 am
MagentaYenta wrote:

It pleases me that none of the major tool makers (Ryobi, Makita, Porter Cable etc) have not done the pink tool thing. I mean it worked for the gun market but darn pink tools do get dirty fast:)

Last week as I was looking for my misplaced yellow & black tape measure at a jobsite, a worker suggested I buy a pink one — he said it would never disappear or be stolen because nobody would touch it! He's right, but alas, I can't find a heavy-duty pink or purple 25' tape on Amazon.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics