Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Washing Toys

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Aug 13 2007, 8:27 am
How do you wash your baby's toys? I'm talking mostly about plastic things that your baby is constantly putting in their mouths and are all over the floor...

Throw em all in the bathtub? Washing Machine? Do you use laundry detergent? Dish Soap? Bleach?

How often to you wash them?

Do you wash the toys after your child was sick?

justanothermother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 11:32 am
Chlorox wipes. I use them for everything. I try to wipe down all the toys at least once a week, when my kids were in their crawling, putting everything in their mouths stage, it was more often. When kids get sick I limit the number of toys they can play with while sick and I clean them well daily.

You can let your kids use damp paper towels to "help" clean the toys with you. I find it keeps them occupied long enough for me to get the job done. They love imitating.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 11:49 am
Then aren't they putting the bleach in their mouths???

I would only use dishsoap on a papertowel.

Henya

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 11:59 am
I put them in a zippered pillowcase & wash them in the washing machine with detergent. (I have a front loader so there's no agitator in the middle that might crack the toys)

Bzgirl

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 12:05 pm
how about windex or fantastik....I found that when my DD is sick, she doesnt play with her toys, so no need to wash them

justanothermother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 12:06 pm
Once bleach evaporates it is safe - its components break down.

Bzgirl

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 12:07 pm
Also when I dust the babys room, I wash some of the toys down, so its not a major job, to do it all at once

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 12:21 pm
Ok, thanks!

Helani

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 12:49 pm
there is "clorox anywhere spray" that is safe to use on toys, food surfaces, etc and requires no rinsing. I've never used it, but I've seen it in all the supermarkets.

justanothermother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 1:06 pm
Helani wrote:
there is "clorox anywhere spray" that is safe to use on toys, food surfaces, etc and requires no rinsing. I've never used it, but I've seen it in all the supermarkets.

You can use diluted bleach in a spray bottle, it's the same thing less $$.
I don't know the ratio off hand, but you can google it.

zigi

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 3:09 pm
pampers also has a spray that supposed to be safe for kids mouths. and the soft ones I put them in a pillow case and wash them. the problem is with toys that are only surface washable; tiny love.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 4:54 pm
Pesach time, we used to wash the leggos in the washing machine and it made such a racket! Even in the tub, if we would wash leggos, the kids would be pouring water from them for a long time!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 14 2007, 5:00 pm
when they're little and have fewer toys it's easier. I used to put warm soapy water in a pyrex bowl and soak the plastic toys for a while while I washed dishes. at the end I'd just rinse them and the bowl and let them air dry. now I wash them when they get gross, rinse them when I can. ds keeps the floor pretty clean by polishing while crawling anyway. he hasn't gotten sick from it, so I think it's fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics