Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Dairy free bread machine recipe

imamazing

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 10:46 am
Looking for a good bread machine recipe that is dairy free. Everything I see online has milk powder.
Not a basic softbwhite bread but something a bit more exciting for a bunch of bored, rained in kids- French bread, dinner rolls, English muffin type of breAd , cinnamon bread etc No nuts or soy milk either cuz allergies...

OutATowner

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 11:26 am
I have a basic challah recipe. Very easy to work with. Sometimes we make little balls, roll in oil and then in cinnamon/sugar or cocoa/sugar. It's not exactly the type of bread your asking for, but great rainy day activity.
5 c flour
1/2c sugar plus more if u like sweeter
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c oil
1 1/2 c water
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 11:51 am
Either leave out the milk, and follow the recipe as written, or use a pareve milk. I have done both, works just fine.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:08 pm
imamazing wrote:
Looking for a good bread machine recipe that is dairy free. Everything I see online has milk powder.
Not a basic softbwhite bread but something a bit more exciting for a bunch of bored, rained in kids- French bread, dinner rolls, English muffin type of breAd , cinnamon bread etc No nuts or soy milk either cuz allergies...

Use your basic bread recipe (do you need one?).
Cut dough into individual roll pieces. Roll out each piece into a circle. Place 1-2 tablespoons sauteed (and seasoned) onion in the middle. Fold in two ends, and then fold in the other two ends. Place seam side down on a lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash. Garnish with additional onions. Bake.

imamazing

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:22 pm
THx e/o

Ima singer- if you leave the milk out, do you have to compensate with extra liquid/water?
Also, what an equivalent amount of coffee Whitener be considered pareve milk? I cannot use any almond milk , soy milk etc.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:27 pm
Liba recommended I use this recipe a few years ago. I still use it when I take out my bread machine.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6.....etail
Use this ingredient list/amounts, but follow the directions and order of ingredients from your machine only.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:28 pm
I'd skip the coffee whitener, which is all chemicals. Just leave out the milk.

I don't find it necessary to adjust anything to compensate, because most of the recipes call for powdered milk anyway, and in a small enough quantity that it doesn't matter.

But try it and see what you think.

What would you like to make today? I'll be happy to share my recipe.

Seas

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:30 pm
Broadly speaking you can substitute any liquid with plain water. Milk powder can be left out without any substitutes.

juggling

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 12:31 pm
Can you use rice milk or oat milk? I wouldn't think coffee creamer is a good substitute.

You mentioned the recipes call for powdered milk. So replacing the liquid shouldn't be an issue. However the protein or some other chemical property of the milk will be absent from the recipe. If you leave it out the results won't be identical, but it will probably be good enough.

imamazing

Post Sun, Oct 29 2017, 1:43 pm
Thx
I found a recipe for dinner rolls without milk that we made for supper.

I d like to make a cinnamon type bread for breakfast tom once we have the machine out..,

If a/o has a good recipe plz share!

wifeandmore

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:28 pm
What's the benefit of the bread machine? I thought it would be like a rice cooker and shut off once it's done (like I dont need to watch it and test it) but it seems I need to put in minutes? So why is it different than an oven? Wondering Ifl it was a waste or an Amazon prime day purchase

juggling

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:35 pm
At least on my bread machine the timer allows you to put the ingredients in hours before you want the bread to bake. So you put it in before you go to sleep, set the timer so it finishes when you wake up, and in the morning you have freshly baked bread. When it finishes baking it turns from "bake" to "warm", but after an hour it turns off. You're supposed to at least open the lid at that point, to prevent steam from making the bread soggy. This is for my bread machine, I suppose yours may be different.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 12:29 am
wifeandmore wrote:
What's the benefit of the bread machine? I thought it would be like a rice cooker and shut off once it's done (like I dont need to watch it and test it) but it seems I need to put in minutes? So why is it different than an oven? Wondering Ifl it was a waste or an Amazon prime day purchase

You shouldn’t have to put in minutes. There should be default settings for things like white bread, French bread, etc. For example, my bread machine takes 3 hours to make a 2 pound loaf of white bread, light crust. You put in the ingredients, select the kind of bread you are making, and the machine knows what to do .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads