Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
KUGEL ON SHABBOS
Previous  1  2

Chanie

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 10:51 am
I actually went to a talk on 'the kitche on shobbos' this week:
the mares ayin only applys to s/t that is completely dry. Something that is wet is actual cooking and can only be added to kli shlishi. If the kugel is dry it can be put on top of a pot/blech, but if it's moist then you cannot. The same applies to frozen challah. Make sure to wipe off any frost so that it does not moisten as it defrosts.

gryp

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 11:46 am
thanx for clearing that up, Chanie. did you learn if the pot/pan should be placed on the blech before shabbos or it can be put on, on shabbos?

Chanie

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 1:11 pm
if the food is completely dry it can be put on a blech on shobbos that it wont look like it was cooking ie. not in a pot. on foil on top of blech or on top of a pot already on blech. A wet thing can never be added to a blech once shobbos starts. Before Shobos there is no problem putting something on the blech or evebn directly on the fire to remain on for shobbos.

gryp

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 1:47 pm
Quote:
ie. not in a pot. on foil on top of blech or on top of a pot already on blech.

this is what I was talking about- did you learn if it has to be there before shabbos or you can put it on on shabbos?

Chanie

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 7:32 pm
a dry thing that is completely cooked can be added on shobbos to the blech, but a wet thing only before shobbos

1stimer

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 9:36 am
right, I forgot to add only dry food can be heated up on shabbos, not a liquid like a soup

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 10:20 pm
I recently learned the halachos with my husband.
You can put the kugel in cholent. Wrapped in silver foil is usually okay - unless you're ONLY putting the kugel in there to stay warm - then it's "hatmanah" (insulating). But if you like the taste it gets from the cholent, it's okay.
As for putting the kugel on the blech, you should put it on top of a pot. If you don't have one on the blech, SOME allow to put (on shabbos) an empty pot upside down and the kugel on top. But you should know, not all agree on this.

smile

Post Fri, May 20 2005, 4:56 am
If I put it on top of a empty pot in the morning will it get hot for the meal ?
And if I put a hot kugel before shabbos on a pot upside down will it not cool down ? I don't know what to do, I have guest this week and I made no cholent so Question what is the best way how to have hot kugel on shabbos ???

1stimer

Post Sat, May 21 2005, 3:50 pm
sorry this is a bit late. But yes it will get hot on top of an empty pot. Put it on 2 hours before meal.

what did u do in the end?

smile

Post Sun, May 22 2005, 6:05 am
I had it for the whole shabbos on a rack on the shabbosplatte. it didn't get burned but it wasn't warm enough. Like my husband said it was just alright to eat it but you couldn't "shmus" between otherwise it wan't have been warm enough to eat it. So other ideas are welcome.

sarahd

Post Sun, May 22 2005, 9:30 am
Last week I put the kugel I was going to use during the day in a foil pan, which I set into a larger foil pan. I filled the outer pan with hot water and sealed both pans with aluminum foil. The kugel steamed all night and was hot and delicious in the morning.

1stimer

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 2:27 am
slb, try covering it with a teatowel.

smile

Post Sun, Jun 05 2005, 7:42 am
1stimer wrote:
On shabbos morning I put an empty foil container upside down on the hotplate then I can put the kugel on top of it - about an hour b4 we eat.

I tried it and it worked. Yes I am over the moon. thanks a million.

1stimer

Post Sun, Jun 05 2005, 8:24 am
pleasure!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes