Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
The Black Friday Thread
  1  2  3  16  17  18  Next

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 01 2017, 10:08 pm
Yep it's that time of year. The first ads just rolled out. Starting a thread for everyone to share the best deals. Aaaand....go!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 4:37 am
I'm looking for a good Shabbos robe at Black Friday price (buying online). Any suggestions where I should keep my eyes open? All suggetions most welcome!

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 6:33 am
So I'm wondering if people who think Thanksgiving is assur are allowed to shop on Black Friday ...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 6:52 am
imasoftov wrote:
So I'm wondering if people who think Thanksgiving is assur are allowed to shop on Black Friday ...

Why on earth should it be assur to shop on Black Friday? As far as I understand it is a pure commercial event, has nothing to do with religion.

Shoshana37

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 6:59 am
Thanks giving has nothing to do with religion either

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 8:29 am
What does that even mean for Thanksgiving to be assur - it's not like there's any active observance. People usually get together for a meal. You're not allowed to eat?

Anyway...what?

Benei Berak, I bought a robe on Amazon for around $20. Not BF, just made in China. Do the companies that make "Shabbos robes" even do Black Friday?

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 9:51 am
Food processor please!!! Please post if you see one out there!

rgr

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 10:30 am
Free shipping on $250 or more from ikea. Through November 3rd.

( where is that poster who was trying to put together a huge refurnishing project...)

frumPA

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 11:56 am
Just as an fyi my [gentile] coworker told me Thanksgiving is a religious holiday. She is Christian.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 11:57 am
seeker wrote:
What does that even mean for Thanksgiving to be assur - it's not like there's any active observance. People usually get together for a meal. You're not allowed to eat.

Search for threads here with thanksgiving in the title, in the two pages of results there are a few about just that.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:00 pm
Is cyber Monday okay too?

chanchy123

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:25 pm
I'm looking fur a good deal on corelle dishes.
Keep your eye it please.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:28 pm
frumPA wrote:
Just as an fyi my [gentile] coworker told me Thanksgiving is a religious holiday. She is Christian.

Is there any evidence of Thanksgiving before the late 18th century? Is it observed anywhere at all other than the US? And again, how would one avoid celebrating it - I wouldn't put up an Xmas tree or go trick-or-treating, but what would you do to avoid Thanksgiving - eat Turkey any day other than Thanksgiving? Avoid sentiments and statements of gratitude one day a year? Color me confused, but definitely not in orange-brown-yellow.

I guess I'll go look for those other threads you mention and leave this one for the deals.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:39 pm
seeker wrote:
Is it observed anywhere at all other than the US?

http://time.com/4971309/canadi.....tory/

happy12

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 12:40 pm
Waiting for the diapers on amazon. Ordered last on prime day

kiryat sefer

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 2:31 pm
Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday. There are people who held that the Lubavich Rebba did hold of it. There are some that held that he did not hold of it.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 02 2017, 5:50 pm
So, tachlis. Here are some deals I thought worth sharing. Kohls and JC Penney have their full ads released and I have bought things at Kohl's in the past that were real hits and they are back so I'll share here.

Kohls store brand pillow $3 - I got one as a spare and really like it, it's doing fine a couple of years later. Too bad I already have enough pillows that are in good enough condition not to replace. JCP has same price on their brand but no personal experience there. Bath towels too, same price, bought at Kohls and satisfied (they felt funny at first but after a few washings they are very much fine.)

Kohls store brand down-alternative comforter $20 for all sizes. I bought em several years ago on the same sale and it was an excellent buy. They are soft, very warm, and have a nice feel. Much lighter weight than down so if you like the heavy cocoon feeling it won't be satisfying (I now own a weighted blanket so this winter I am going to stack them up) but it is very warm.

$2 gloves. Basic knit gloves but they work fine and for $2 they're good for people like me who always lose some.

Both stores have a variety of similar small cheap appliances. Both are like junky store brands but decent for light use, dorms, or people who need cheap. Both have a 1.5qt slow cooker in this category, hand mixer, toaster, personal size blender (I have one and it's quite decent. Obviously not like the good ones but it does blend...) I think I got mine on BF at Macys but they all look the same. Probably same place in China makes the same blender and they just all put their different brand on the label. Things like that. Kohls also has a 4-qt Crock Pot (real brand) for $10.

At JCP all Carters is 60% off. Sometimes I get good Carters pajamas this season. Not sure if the 60% will be the steal. I'm also going to look out for Gymboree or Crazy8 pajamas because I like those.

Both stores have a deal on large sets of Oneida flatware. I did not buy my Oneida flatware on BF though I did get a deal elsewhere, and I am very fond of the set. It's holding up well and looks nice. I think the sales are something like service for 16 for around $50. I don't think you can do better than that. There were some other sales on inferior brands but Oneida is better.

No idea about quality or anything but there's a heavily discounted air fryer at JCP $20. Also at JCP they advertised a $10 bakeware set which for someone like me is not worthwhile to buy a set but it looks like a great set for a kallah or someone setting up a new kitchen because it has a little of all the basics - cupcake pan, cookie sheets, etc.

rgr

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:29 am
Toys R Us has the JJ Cole Car Seat Cover marked down to only $14.98!
Toys R Us offers Free shipping on orders of $29 or more.
JJ Cole Car Seat Cover

Posting this because I remember a poster asking about car seat covers/ bundle-me

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:35 am
Looking for a 20" bike.....

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:43 am
frumPA wrote:

lol she was absolutely wrong. It’s an American holiday.
Page 1 of 18   1  2  3  16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains