Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Alaska residents: which boots and gloves?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 9:33 pm
For weather in the range of -60 farenheit ?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
For weather in the range of -60 farenheit ?

Are you planning a trip at or above the Arctic Circle in winter?

Your best bet is to google ultra cold weather expedition gear. Northern Outfitters may still be around and selling to the public as well. Give it a google.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:14 am
I would be surprised to find any Alaska residents on this site

oliveoil

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 12:27 pm
Moonlight wrote:
I would be surprised to find any Alaska residents on this site

Why?

doctorima

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 12:35 pm
I'm not Moonlight, but I believe there are only a handful of frum women, as in less than 10, in the entire state. There's only one minyan there - Chabad of Anchorage, so the odds of any of them finding this site and having the spare time for it are quite low.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 12:37 pm
doctorima wrote:
I'm not Moonlight, but I believe there are only a handful of frum women, as in less than 10, in the entire state. There's only one minyan there - Chabad of Anchorage, so the odds of any of them finding this site and having the spare time for it are quite low.

Exactly

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 1:01 pm
doctorima wrote:

And you've left out those in the military who have spent some time there.

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 1:47 pm
If you go to sites selling outdoor clothing, they often rate gloves and hats and coats according to the outdoor temperature. (E.g., "suitable for temperatures down to -10F").

Look for gloves made with Thinsulate or other thermal liners.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 2:46 pm
I used to live in Minnesota. It's -50F there.

Call LandsEnd, and ask them what they recommend. They will walk you through it. Personally, I bought the LandsEnd men's (cheaper than women's, exactly the same, and I have big feet) snow hiker boots, which are insulated. Wool socks which you can wear together with cotton socks, thermal long underwear which is cheaper at walmart, and the squall coat, which is good to -40 and you can layer it with a fleece jacket underneath when it's colder. You will not find 1 pair of gloves that can handle -50 or -60. Get thinsulate which you wear underneath your insulated gloves. Same for your head, get a fake fur with ears and put a thinsulate under it and buy it big so you can wear your scarf under all that. Get a very wide scarf and either wear a balaclava hat or a very wide scarf that you can wrap around your face. Wool is best because you can still breath through it. I mostly was taking public transportation so I was spending a lot of time outside.

Otherwise, just remember layers layers layers and unless you are camping or something try to wear something you can open and be comfortable in a store so you don't have to put on and off 5 or 6 layers everytime you go in or outside.

Also, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize and winter clothes aren't pretty but nobody will know if you are pregnant until spring Wink Which will happen in May or June and last about 10 minutes.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 4:14 pm
as a Canadian resident who really suffers from the cold winters I did exactly the research you are doing now. I looked for the types of winter gear worn at the north pole in the hopes of staying warm enough to survive winter.

for boots I discovered a line called Baffin. Manufactured in Canada for arctic weather.
They have boots good until -100, but I chose boots good till -40. I have to say they really kept my toes warm. I was shocked that it was actually possible to have warm toes when walking outside.
the downside of these boots is that they are very clunky and heavy. because of the 1 inch of insulation in all directions, including the sole, they are hard to really walk easily. so I also have normal snow boots for regular use, and I only wear my baffin boots when its particularly cold and I know I will be outside for a while.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 5:17 pm
doctorima wrote:

Some of those women (and possibly others not included in your 10) are in some of my other Jewish women's Facebook groups, so I would not be at all surprised if some were here. The internet makes the world a much smaller place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics