Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How come people don't care about being fat?
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:17 pm
I promise you that this post is not to bash or judge or hurt you in any way. I am someone that has struggled with weight and I understand that the issues are real. However my desire to eat chocolate, ice cream, cookies, junk, and other carbs does not override my desire to look good, fit into my clothes, feel self-confident and pretty and be a fit person.

Sometimes I see an overweight heavy person eating junk food all day long. Donuts, cookies, cake, ice cream all in one day as their diet.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE chocolate and and ice cream and all that good junk food. It is tremendously hard not to only eat that all day and everyday. But I know that I want to feel good and look good so I try to limit it to eating those things rarely. I also know that I feel much better and healthier when I'm eating fruits and vegetables and my body doesn't feel as lethargic as when I do eat junk.

I am wondering why people don't care they're fat. Do you just like the food so much that it's more important than feeling good and looking good?

Awhile back I wrote a post on here that I would rather enjoy chocolate and have a big stomach. One very smart poster told me that I'll only feel that way until it gets to the point that my big stomach isn't worth the chocolate. Well it got to that point a couple years back, and I exercised like crazy, got into shape, and never went back to that again.

So I just wonder if before you become too heavy, is it a conscious choice that you choose food over looking good? Or do you just not realize until it's too late and and by then you've already gained so much more than you ever expected that you can't even begin to get motivated to lose it all?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:22 pm
I personally am overweight (between 20 & 30 lbs), but at this point in my life, I just can not bring myself to diet. I have other things going on & I just don't have the commitment and will necessary to focus on it right now.

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:23 pm
Just to clarify, are you saying that you used to be in the position of liking food over looks, but now that you "reached that point," you can't understand people who haven't reached it yet?

Last edited by Maya on Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:23 pm
How come people don’t care about being stupid?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:26 pm
I can't answer for other fat people, only for myself. but I eat chocolate and cake and doughnuts because if I didn't eat those I would still be fat and I would be chocolateless, cakeless and doughnutless. fat people eat these foods for the same reason skinny people eat these foods. for enjoyment.
I know you're not bashing and judging but I am feeling judged right now. I actually always feel judged. those aforementioned goodies? NEVER would I eat them in public because of the looks I would get.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:27 pm
you are making a bunch of assumptions here. That is that following are universal truths. They aren't.

1. Being heavy (fat) equals not looking good
2. Being heavy (fat) equals not feeling good.
3. Being very heavy (fat) means even if you want to get thin you don't have motivation

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:
I promise you that this post is not to bash or judge or hurt you in any way. I am someone that has struggled with weight and I understand that the issues are real. However my desire to eat chocolate, ice cream, cookies, junk, and other carbs does not override my desire to look good, fit into my clothes, feel self-confident and pretty and be a fit person.
ple don't care they're fat. Do you just like the food so much that it's more important than feeling good and looking good?ined so much more than you ever expected that you can't even begin to get motivated to lose it all?...

Hmm, it sounds as if you haven't hit menopause yet. Get back to me after you do.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:31 pm
Maya wrote:
Just to clarify, are you saying that you used to be in the position of liking food over looks, but now that you "reached that point," you can't understand people who haven't reached it yet?

Yes. I'm wondering if people consciously realize but they like food and just stop caring about weight or if it's an unconscious choice. For me, I was always able to eat junk food and not gain too much weight. As I started getting older and started gaining a few more pounds, I I chose to stop eating junk all day. If I hadn't been weight conscious and just put on 100 pounds and then woke up, I don't think I'd even have the energy or drive to start.

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
I can't answer for other fat people, only for myself. but I eat chocolate and cake and doughnuts because if I didn't eat those I would still be fat and I would be chocolateless, cakeless and doughnutless. fat people eat these foods for the same reason skinny people eat these foods. for enjoyment.
I know you're not bashing and judging but I am feeling judged right now. I actually always feel judged. those aforementioned goodies? NEVER would I eat them in public because of the looks I would get.

Oh, she's absolutely judging. I mean, she was able to reach the point of never eating chocolate again, why can't we?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:33 pm
Not all fat people are stuffing our faces with junk all day. I actually generally eat much healthier than most skinny people I know but I have metabolic issues that make it very difficult to lose weight even when I'm doing everything right. So it can get depressing to work so hard for barely any results and just go what the heck, may as well enjoy the cake since it won't make a difference.

Also, what makes you think people are ok with it? Many of us are not and are no strangers to poor self esteem and self loathing. But what am I supposed to do, sit around all day and cry about it? Walk around looking miserable? I have a life. I have plenty to be happy about and proud of even though I'm upset and ashamed about my weight. So no, I'm not confident, I'm just, you know, living my life like everyone else.

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:36 pm
amother wrote:
Yes. I'm wondering if people consciously realize but they like food and just stop caring about weight or if it's an unconscious choice. For me, I was always able to eat junk food and not gain too much weight. As I started getting older and started gaining a few more pounds, I I chose to stop eating junk all day. If I hadn't been weight conscious and just put on 100 pounds and then woke up, I don't think I'd even have the energy or drive to start.

I guess the answer is that not everyone is as weight and body conscious as you are?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:36 pm
I'm about 15-20 lbs overweight, I eat extremely healthy & work out. I'm unable to lose weight because of a thyroid issue. I know I'm doing everything I possibly can to lose weight, or at least maintain my weight. Bh I have a healthy self esteem & don't think my weight defies who I am!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:37 pm
What everyone else said.

Just because you feel something to a certain degree doesn't mean someone else feels it the same. What you have to "fight" in order to resist unhealthy foods is likely not the same level that others have to fight.

You are oversimplifying what goes into people's decisions to eat or not eat something, it's a lot more nuanced than how you seem to understand it.

And yes, your post comes across (and actually is kinda) judgmental.

Signed, someone who was thin most of her life, spent about 7 years obese, and has been average weight for the past 8 years. BH for those 7 years, they taught me to never judge.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:
Yes. I'm wondering if people consciously realize but they like food and just stop caring about weight or if it's an unconscious choice.

some people stop caring about weight, and some people do not.
for some people is a unconscious choice, and for some its not.

for some people the weight doesn't correlate to food.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:

Aren't you speshul. Rolling Eyes

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:39 pm
I'd like to add that I was extremely thin all my life, I started having thyroid issues when I was pregnant with my baby. I never let my weight get to me cause I know I'm doing the best I can! I bh try to dress well & always get compliments on how good I look. So weight has nothing to do with looking good or not.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:41 pm
Don't make it sound simple because it is not. Although it should just be that if we "diet" and "exercise", we lose weight, but that is not the reality for everyone. Why? because people's bodies don't always work the way it should either bc they have metabolic issues or other issues that they can't control. In addition, some people are too overwhelmed with working full time and being full time mom/spouse/ housekeeper/cook.... that they have no time left to exercise every day. In order to lose weight, one can't just walk, but one needs time to do rigorous exercise for enough time every day. But, a lot of women put their children and spouses first, if not, their kids will not have everything they need. Our husbands and society expects a lot from us, so how would women have enough time to really focus on proper eating and exercise? People who work part time or have hired help may not understand how frustrating it is not to even be able to have enough time for going to the gym every day. Show some sympathy.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Nov 09 2017, 6:48 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Hmm, it sounds as if you haven't hit menopause yet. Get back to me after you do.

Have I told you lately that I love you?!

MagentaYenta

amother wrote:
I'd like to add that I was extremely thin all my life, I started having thyroid issues when I was pregnant with my baby. I never let my weight get to me cause I know I'm doing the best I can! I bh try to dress well & always get compliments on how good I look. So weight has nothing to do with looking good or not.

Similar story here but for me it was menopause. Without estrogen in suitable amounts it's near impossible for me not to gain weight. Out of my control. Will I beat myself up for it? Heck no, I'm not a spring chicken and certainly not out of shape or suffering medically because of my weight gain.

FWIW the thread starter has some very unrealistic expectations of others.

Maybe she should just get back on the stair stepper and MYOB.

simba

Because I feel awesome and believe I am beautiful! Yes, I can eat my cake and enjoy it to!

The only motivation I have to lose weight is health.
And no, I am not in denial. I recently lost a lot of weight and everyone makes comments like "oh, you probably have more energy now" , "doesn't it feel great"," you look awesome"etc....I don't care! I want a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting, and yes, I feel great and always did..
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise