Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is it ethical to return this coat?
Previous  1  2  3

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 3:50 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Just to clarify, your 7 year old son has been wearing the same coat since he was 4? Hasn’t he outgrown it yet, regardless of zipper issues?

Yes. That's the benefit of Lands End. They have sleeves that "grow" with your kid so that you can use it for more than one season. The jacket just got a bit shorter and snugger each year but fit. I usually buy on the larger End since I plan on them using it for a couple of years.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 4:05 pm
We had LL Bean backpacks as kids. My father use our "hand me downs" for himself and a few years ago a zipper broke. He called the company and said his zipper broke (this is 20 yrs after purchase!) and they said "does that mean you are not satisfied?" he said "no" so they repaired it. Not saying whether it's honest or not, but I think they know that these kind of situations occur and they don't seem to mind repairing/replacing anyway.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 4:16 pm
WastingTime wrote:
We had LL Bean backpacks as kids. My father use our "hand me downs" for himself and a few years ago a zipper broke. He called the company and said his zipper broke (this is 20 yrs after purchase!) and they said "does that mean you are not satisfied?" he said "no" so they repaired it. Not saying whether it's honest or not, but I think they know that these kind of situations occur and they don't seem to mind repairing/replacing anyway.

No, they talked about your father and what an @55 he was afterwards. I've had friends who have worked in customer service at stores with liberal return policies, and I've heard their stories.

Unfortunately, stores have adopted stricter return policies because of stories like this. The person whose zipper breaks after 3 months has trouble getting a refund in many places because of people who complain afte 20 years.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:34 pm
WastingTime wrote:

I'd be embarassed to repeat this story. Shame on your father for doing that. It takes alot of chutzpah to tell someone your dissatisfied with something after 20 years of use. Hope his last name doesn't sound too Jewish, or he made a tremendous chill hashem. Shame on him, and shame on you for justifying his appalling behavior.
Stories like this give us a bad rap.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:40 pm
Lucky you got 3 years of use!! I brought an Appaman coat during the summer, on sale, by amazon. After one day of use, it tore, right in front of my eyes, from DD just acting like a kid. They Refuse to send me a new coat, rather, they say I should spend 55 dollars more to replace it, because that's how much it is on their site now. I thought that was such nerve, and I will never buy from such a disgusting company again.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:42 pm
amother wrote:
I think it's ok to return it. Bed bath and beyond used to have a lifetime warranty on all small appliances. It was a crazy policy in which some people seemingly took advantage of by returning items such as vaccume cleaners many years later. I think this was ok for 2 reasons:

1. The store knew full well when they made this policy that people would return items after several years that in truth, the customer got their money's worth.
2. The store often didn't lose money because they would give a store credit and the customer would spend more than the credit in the store.

This actually happened to my mom.
My mom bought a deep fryer about 15 Yrs ago from BBB
The cord started to fray.
Thinking she could just replace the cord, it's magnetically attached, she took the machine in to the store to purchase a cord that would work on that machine.
The sales lady INSISTED to give her money back on the entire fryer. No box, No receipt, Nothing stating she bought it there, except her word.

cbg

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:48 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Yes. That's the benefit of Lands End. They have sleeves that "grow" with your kid so that you can use it for more than one season. The jacket just got a bit shorter and snugger each year but fit. I usually buy on the larger End since I plan on them using it for a couple of years.

Can someone be so keep nd as to send me a link of the coat that grows with the child, or is this every Lands End coat

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:51 pm
cbg wrote:
Can someone be so keep nd as to send me a link of the coat that grows with the child, or is this every Lands End coat

I think it's in most of the kids coats. The sleeves have a part that is hemmed up with a bright color stitching on the inside. When you need to lengthen it you just unstitch it and you get a few more inches. They are called "Grow-A-Long sleeves. It's definitely on all their squall jackets not sure what other items but I believe it's on other outerwear as well.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:55 pm
I just went on their website and it says
"Guaranteed. Period.®: washed, worn, even embroidered, return it at any time for an exchange or full refund"
Call them let them know it's 3 yrs old, and see what they say to you.

yogabird

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:
Lucky you got 3 years of use!! I brought an Appaman coat during the summer, on sale, by amazon. After one day of use, it tore, right in front of my eyes, from DD just acting like a kid. They Refuse to send me a new coat, rather, they say I should spend 55 dollars more to replace it, because that's how much it is on their site now. I thought that was such nerve, and I will never buy from such a disgusting company again.

Did you contact appaman or amazon? Amazon just replaced a pair of shoes for me that developed a hole after wearing for 2 months, no hassle at all.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:08 pm
Bed bath and beyond actually changed their policy... they now charge a 20% return fee since people were buying with a coupon and returning without a receipt to get the full price back. Such chutzpah and disgusting behavior.
I witnessed an obviously frum person try to return something that was clearly well used and abused. It was so old that it wasn't in their system anymore- no proof BBB ever sold it! It was also dirty, rusted etc. the store refused the return and the customer was upset. "If it's so old it is not in our system, then it is at least 15 years old. You liked it for that long so there was nothing wrong with it and the fact it is broken in normal."

I was embarrassed to be standing in the same line.

mommyla

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:38 pm
I bought a high-end vacuum from BB&B a few years ago. One day, recently, it just conked out for no apparent reason. I called BB&B to see if they had warranty info on it (I didn't have it for some reason but I still had the receipt) and they told me to bring it in and they'd give me a new one or store credit. Three years old, still within warranty period, not abused in the slightest... that's their policy.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:18 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
Bed bath and beyond actually changed their policy... they now charge a 20% return fee since people were buying with a coupon and returning without a receipt to get the full price back. Such chutzpah and disgusting behavior.
I witnessed an obviously frum person try to return something that was clearly well used and abused. It was so old that it wasn't in their system anymore- no proof BBB ever sold it! It was also dirty, rusted etc. the store refused the return and the customer was upset. "If it's so old it is not in our system, then it is at least 15 years old. You liked it for that long so there was nothing wrong with it and the fact it is broken in normal."

I was embarrassed to be standing in the same line.

They only deduct 20% if you don't have a receipt to prove you paid full price, or can't look up the transaction with your credit card. It's a similar policy to many stores who will only give you the most recent sale price if you can't prove the price you paid for an item.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics