Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Need information on Bnos Rivka in Lakewood

chayad1

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:48 pm
I live in Brooklyn, two kids currently in BYBP one in KDG and one in 1st grade and I'm looking into Lakewood schools for next year where I will hopefully be moving.

Someone mentioned Bnos Rivka as a good fit for a school but I can't find any information.
Anyone can give me info on what type of school it is in terms of academics, and parent body?

Thanks

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:48 pm
Bnos Rivkah Rochel?

chayad1

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:50 pm
I think.

mommyla

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:50 pm
That's Bais Rivka Rochel. I think Tehillas Chaya Sara used to be called Bnos Rivka or Bais Rivka.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:51 pm
Bnos Rivka doesn't exist anymore; it was renamed Tehilas Chaya Sara. I don't know anything about the academics, but as far as the parent body, most of the parents there are not as yeshivish as many of the other Lakewood schools.

The principal is Mrs. Bresler (she used to be the principal in YOB before moving to Lakewood).

chayad1

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:52 pm
actually just realized its called Tehillas Chaya Sara

chayad1

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 12:53 pm
when you say, not as yeshivish what does that specifically mean?
(I know, its a hard question)

mommish613

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 1:18 pm
It's hard to define not yeshivish to someone you don't know. Its a very warm, caring place but It's def more to the left than your typical Lakewood school. More open-minded. I think there are other families that moved from Boro Park and send there- why don't you speak to them since they could probably address your questions better than anyone else.

chayad1

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 1:30 pm
thanks I'm going to do that.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 1:33 pm
I like mommish613's description of Tehillas Chaya Sarah. I used to have nieces in the school, and I have to say that the staff is exceptional. They are really out there for every single student. My sibling did end up sending younger children to a different school, because they felt that the student body was a bit to the left of their type.

If you are a good fit for the type, know that it's a really well-run, caring, warm place to send your child.

In terms of the academics, it is somewhat less rigorous than Bais Faiga, using Lakewood's largest school for comparison. But my nieces who graduated from Tehillas Chaya Sarah are doing very well in Lakewood high schools.

The standards for parents in TCS might be a little more relaxed than other Lakewood schools. They might implement certain tznius modes in their children at a later age (such as covering legs, elbows, etc...), especially out of school (in school, they have the same basic standards). My sibling felt that my nieces had more classmates with exposure to media, internet, movies, etc..than in some of the more yeshivish schools in town.

keym

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 1:52 pm
I used to have a lot of neighbors there. The parent body is all working fathers. Many colored shirts or black jeans. Almost no chinuch or kollel families.
Like Chayalle said many families allow more uncovering until later than is standard (short sleeves or short socks til 8/9.) More internet, media exposure than other schools.
All the families I know are low key, non ostentatious (sp?). Target clothing, etc.
It seems like a happy school but I know nothing about academics there.
Hatzlocha

chayad1

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 3:10 pm
it's hard b/c on the one hand my family is low key and non ostentatious (hello target and h and m). on the other hand, my husband is a white shirt black pants and hat kind of guy not to mention that I follow along the same route in terms of dress and hashkafa.
I also called to apply to Bnos Bracha, Meoros, and Bnos Orchos Chaim (Nachlas) but I'm getting mixed reviews on all ends. I know that its impossible to get a "perfect" school but I'm trying for the right blend... IY"H all will work out for the best.
Thank you to everyone who posted, you all were a great help!

mommyla

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 3:13 pm
Bnos Orchos Chaim and Nachlas are two different schools.

keym

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 3:19 pm
I wonder if you would do best visiting the schools. Hanging around by dismissal. Most kids go on busses but youll get a sprinkling of parents by then.
Also I dont think Bnos Orchos Chaim is the same thing as Nachalas. Nachalas Beis Yaakov I believe is owned or run by R Yanky Robinson. Bnos Orchos Chaim is the sister school of Orchos Chaim, same administration.
Ive heard wonderful things about Meoros and its administrator.
You could look into Bnos Devora and Chein Bais Yaakov. Ive heard nice things but dont know much.
Ive heard

keym

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 3:21 pm
Also look into Moreshes and Shiras Chaim. Both owned by Perlstein. I hear they have a very grounded outlook and parent body.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 3:23 pm
Ask the person who recommended BR why they think it would be a good fit for you.

Better yet, where are people you identify with sending their kids? When trying to decide on a school, aim for the middle (advice given to me by someone in Chinuch) in terms of type.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children