Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Instant Pot on Shabbat

cm

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:25 pm
Please tell me about using an Instant Pot as a slow cooker on Shabbat. Does it make any electronic sounds or are there any lights that would be problematic when opening it?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:29 pm
cm wrote:
Please tell me about using an Instant Pot as a slow cooker on Shabbat. Does it make any electronic sounds or are there any lights that would be problematic when opening it?

You need to turn it off pressure, and turn it to slow cook, for Shabbat. YOU ALSO NEED TO TAKE OFF THE PRESSURE COOKER LID AND USE A GLASS LID. Sorry to shout. It makes a noise when you remove otherwise, even if you turn the sound off.

Come join us on FB on kosher instant pot. Its a great resource, and where I learned this.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:30 pm
I am not a big cholent eater but I think we generally prefer the crockpot version. I use the IP to keep the soup warm on Friday night so it totally serves a great purpose.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:37 pm
Just an FYI, the IP only heats from the bottom as opposed to a crockpot that heats from all the sides as well so the food will come out tasting different when you use the slow cooker function.

cm

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 5:43 pm
Thanks, all good to know.

This would be for vegetarian soup/stew served at lunch.

Razzle100

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 11:33 am
I set the Instant Pot on a timer so right before lunch the power was cut, and I could open the lid without lights or sounds.

Then I picked up a glass lid to use on Shabbat Smile

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:23 pm
Not sure what model you have, but mine has a maximum amount of time in slow cooker mode (which btw did not work as well as a crockpot).

productivity

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 1:47 pm
Does anyone know if a “Blech” is needed for the IP? I know some hold that for insulated crock pots the pot must be elevated from the cooking surface (ie with balls made of silver foil). Is this required for the IP?

amother
Teal

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 11:26 pm
I have had vegan soups/stews spoil multiple times using it in slow cooker mode for shabbat. As someone else mentioned, it heats only from the bottom--so the food at the top didn't stay hot enough and spoiled. Very disappointing. I stick to the crockpot now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen