Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What to bring back from Israel

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 7:39 pm
That they dont have in America ? I have a whole suitcase and curious what is special there or cheaper that I can't get in NY. Thinking of food items, judaica items, etc. Thank you !

Nechamie

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 8:32 pm
Materna formula. It costs around 59 shekels. Over here $33. Even if you dont have a baby you can bring back for someone..Purim costumes but I am not sure if they have it out yet and I always schlep back sono oxygen for laundry. Its half price.

imasinger

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 9:02 pm
A lot of Judaica is cheaper or nicer. I personally have also been very happy with small musical instruments -- drum, tambourine, etc, and of course, shofar -- that are well made. You can find nice head coverings.

Where in Israel are you going?

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 9:24 pm
I was very surprised to find Judaica in America to be almost twice the price as the same stuff sold in Israel. I'm not sure as to the best way to pack it though - as things can break in a transatlantic flight - maybe that's why it is so much more expensive?

chaya35

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 9:37 pm
careline long lasting lipstick

advocate

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 10:28 pm
Helium ballons - not inflated. Candy!

jkw

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 10:52 pm
AHAVA hand cream. Best thing to have for winter.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 10:56 pm
chaya35 wrote:
careline long lasting lipstick

How much is it in Israel?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 10:59 pm
imasinger wrote:
A lot of Judaica is cheaper or nicer. I personally have also been very happy with small musical instruments -- drum, tambourine, etc, and of course, shofar -- that are well made. You can find nice head coverings.

Where in Israel are you going?

I am going all over iyh. Yerushalayim, up north, bnei brak....

chaya35

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 11:01 pm
amother wrote:
How much is it in Israel?

Once I got it on sale for 2 for $27 and once it was $16 or 17.

mandksima

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 1:15 am
I live on pre-cut parchment paper packs. I don't remember them being in the US when I was there but are they there now? Much easier than rolls.

Definitely head coverings.

Maybe items you have a hard time finding cholev yisroel in the US are standard here. Like good caramel sauce?

Techina should be cheaper. Falafel mix? Zaatar spice and other Middle Eastern ones?

Books printed in Israel.

LisaS

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 2:10 am
Nice fleecy pj's and slipper socks. They have such nice soft materials. Don't expect them to last more than a year though.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 9:28 am
OP, if you are into Judaica (Sterling silver and also non-silver items) I do believe it would be worth it. An American ex-colleague of mine told me 10 yrs ago Sterling silver Judaica is half price here compared to the US. This must be one of the very few things that is cheaper that Israel can offer. Best deals in haredi areas and the very best prices in small shops.
Recommended: Signon on Rabbi Akiva 121 Bnei Berak phone: 03-618-4032. English speaking staff. Tiny tiny shop with very good prices. If there is a certain item that you already now know you want I suggest you contact them in advance and see if they are able to get it for you from the larger chains and give you a better price. Also watch out for shops that carry VAT refund (if you are coming on an American passport)
Also check out Hadad Bros and Hatzorfim. And always try to ask nicely for a discount Smile
Non-silver items: Everywhere in B Berak and Jerusalem. Google in advance for best selection/pricing.
Alcohol/Wine from Ben Gurion duty free: always deals, sometimes really really good.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 9:39 am
Info abt VAT in Israel:
https://taxes.gov.il/English/V......aspx

https://taxes.gov.il/Vat/Pages......aspx

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 10:35 am
Artistic judaica. You can get it in most shopping centers. But once you find an artist that you like, find the location of their distribution points. Each piece is a little different.

Sefarim.

Personalization on books and towels, velvet judaica, leather, etc.

Some art.

Check if basic stuff like tzitzis and kippas are cheaper.

Have a look into paper goods and all-in-one/hardware stores. They may have things that would surprise you.

LuckyMum

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 10:39 am
Jewish kids books - the big laminated ones
Materna
Some kids clothes (kidichic, bazaar strauss)
Shoko b'sakit - a huge hit with my kids when anyone brings those!

Shuly

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 1:47 pm
Lotus Butter
Yarmulkas
Tzitzis
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics