Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
ATT Ima Authors!!

InnerMe

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:30 pm
I posted below on a thread.. then realized it was an old thread (may have been bumped in honor of MY)

But any authors here... please come say hi, and share with us. How'd you start? Trade secrets? Funny incidents? Feedback you've gotten?

Just mentioning a few by name.. but there are many many more.

I am no author. Perhaps a wannabe.
Interested in what the experts have to say.
Figure this is a good place to give a shout out to some of my fave authors that may be on here, and ask you to let us know some of your journeys? Maybe let us in on some secrets? That's asking too much? Ok, I get it. We'll take whatever you give..

So.. Riva Pomerantz!!!! Love love love your works! They are written with so much insight into the human psyche. I am currently loving the Ami serial your'e running and I do hope that Yehuda and Shiffy can work on their marriage and have a healthy loving relationship without her mother's shadow. I have always followed your past serials.. my fave probably being with Benny, the ADHD guy, I forgot the title..Was it Split Ends?

Shoshana Schwartz!!! You are one of a kind! You combine real life experience with awesome writing. I admire how you are so open about your struggles in the current diary in family first, and also how you're not afraid to speak your mind. You're creating much awareness, and boy I love those horses. One day I may visit Retorno just to get a peek:)

Yitta Halberstam! Boy am I glad you are back from your babysitting hiatus. I find your writing to be so professional, well researched, and engaging. I'm jealous of you chummy cleaning help who helped you grieve your grandchild's move. Please do keep writing! I await your articles.

There are many more... hope you can stop by and say hi!

crust

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:02 pm
Aww. So I wasn't that far off on the other thread!!
I will come back with some links on starting out.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 3:46 am
Supposedly, being that b'H I'm a writer for several magazines, this thread title caught me.

but, what other thread r u bother referring to? I only see two posts here?

ty.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 10:38 am
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....11237
This one.

Would you be comfortable saying your name as Ima-even a pen name?
Even if not.. can you share with us some behind the scenes?

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 10:50 am
If you're interested in getting involved with writing, there's an email list for frum authors, editors, etc. called Soferet that would likely be very informative.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 10:57 am
I've heard about soferet. Although for now I am not seriously considering, I would love to be a part of that group. Would you know how I can be part of that?

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 1:03 pm
If you go to this link, you'll an option to contact the owner of the mailing list to become a member:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!aboutgroup/soferet

InnerMe

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 1:25 pm
doctorima wrote:
If you go to this link, you'll an option to contact the owner of the mailing list to become a member:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!aboutgroup/soferet

Thank you!

S-HappyMama

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 10:59 am
InnerMe wrote:

But any authors here... please come say hi, and share with us. How'd you start? Trade secrets? Funny incidents? Feedback you've gotten?

Shoshana Schwartz!!! You are one of a kind! You combine real life experience with awesome writing. I admire how you are so open about your struggles in the current diary in family first, and also how you're not afraid to speak your mind. You're creating much awareness, and boy I love those horses. One day I may visit Retorno just to get a peek:)

There are many more... hope you can stop by and say hi!

Stopping by and saying hi... Thanks, InnerMe.
By far the most feedback I've gotten on anything I've written is my current serial "Grab the Reins" in Family First, with "Three Steps," a novel about addiction and codependence, coming in second. I've heard from people inquiring about Retorno, people who are looking for counseling or 12 step groups for themselves or family members, people who've felt validated, and of course people want to sign up for equine therapy. It's humbling, because as a writer you know you're this very small cog in a great Divine Plan, and you just step back and watch the great Plan unfold.
In the Jewish writing world, Soferet is a good place to start because publications often post when they're looking for stories. My suggestion is to begin by writing for publications without pay, including blogs. You gain experience in the process, including learning how to take feedback (aka criticism) from an editor, and learn how to see your work objectively. For the very same reasons, I am a strong believer in having a writing partner. Find someone more or less on the same "level" as you (in terms of experience and published works), and critique each other's work. How do you find a partner? You can do as I once did - offer to do matchmaking between writers, and find a partner not just for yourself but for anyone else who needs. Perhaps post on Soferet or right here on Imamother.
Hatzlacha!

InnerMe

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 8:06 pm
Thanks Shoshana for stopping by! Great suggestions, I did request already membership from Soferet, and am awaiting their response.

I have considered equine therapy, as it seems it could be really insightful, and at the same time enjoyable. Here in New York, I think it's hard to find something within reasonable distance, especially one that has separate men's and women's group. I probably wouldn't do it either way because of expense, lack of practicality etc. But it does seem really nice and offers growth and self awareness for someone who can do it, or needs to do it. You seem like a great counselor. Can you just clarify what your role is in Retorno? It seems sometimes you are out on the horses, sometimes just phone conversation, and sometimes group. Is it any set one? Or always different?

S-HappyMama

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 6:02 am
You're right, I wear many hats!

My official title in Retorno is "International Liaison" which basically means I try to help Jews in the US and other countries get the help they need. There are thousands of rehabs in the US, and my goal is for Jewish people to get Jewish rehab. The distance to Israel is a big plus, getting the addict away from the environment s/he was acting out in. When someone doesn't need rehab, I try to direct them to local solutions, such as 12 step groups and/or therapists. I'm always on the lookout for frum therapists who specialize in codependence or addiction, so I'd be very happy to hear about professionals anywhere in the world.

In addition, I counsel people privately, both in person and by phone. I'm not a social worker and I don't do standard therapy. My focus is women with addictive behaviors - codependence, overeating, shopping, reading, internet, etc. - things we all do but sometimes do too much of. I do sometimes lead groups in Retorno; it depends on what people need at any given time.

Of all the hats I wear, my favorite hat is a cowboy hat! I provide equine therapy to Retorno clients as well as people just like you (er, but in Israel) who contact me. The type of therapy I do is an integration of Western riding and the 12 steps used for treatment of addiction.

InnerMe

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 6:59 pm
ShoshanaSchwart wrote:
You're right, I wear many hats!

My official title in Retorno is "International Liaison" which basically means I try to help Jews in the US and other countries get the help they need. There are thousands of rehabs in the US, and my goal is for Jewish people to get Jewish rehab. The distance to Israel is a big plus, getting the addict away from the environment s/he was acting out in. When someone doesn't need rehab, I try to direct them to local solutions, such as 12 step groups and/or therapists. I'm always on the lookout for frum therapists who specialize in codependence or addiction, so I'd be very happy to hear about professionals anywhere in the world.

In addition, I counsel people privately, both in person and by phone. I'm not a social worker and I don't do standard therapy. My focus is women with addictive behaviors - codependence, overeating, shopping, reading, internet, etc. - things we all do but sometimes do too much of. I do sometimes lead groups in Retorno; it depends on what people need at any given time.

Of all the hats I wear, my favorite hat is a cowboy hat! I provide equine therapy to Retorno clients as well as people just like you (er, but in Israel) who contact me. The type of therapy I do is an integration of Western riding and the 12 steps used for treatment of addiction.

Wow, that does sound like a lot! Keep doing your great work and writing about it! Oh, and let me know when you move to the US:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club