Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Vent!!! Very fussy newborn demanding 24/7 attention
1  2  Next

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 4:06 pm
This is simply a well needed vent!!! 2 week old baby cries round the clock to the point hat I don’t even know anymore if she is hungry/tired/gassy/reflux..... it’s a constant nurse, burp, sooth, nurse, burp, sooth cycle... my two older kids are home and poor them they feel so neglected! I don’t know what I am doing wrong! I went off dairy last week and so far I see no improvement. I feel like I am a terrible mom to all my kids Sad !!!!!!! I have been a very hands on attentive mom to my older kids before Baby was born and I feel that this is messing them up. Vent over, now I’ll just cry with my baby

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 4:59 pm
Aww, sorry! Hope everyone is OK and things improve soon!

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 5:05 pm
imasinger wrote:
Aww, sorry! Hope everyone is OK and things improve soon!

Thank you!!! From your mouth to G-Ds ear Amen!

observer

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 5:52 pm
Just wanted to chime in and say that I can so relate and it is so so difficult!!! Many of my babies have been colicky and yup, nonstop crying..It is so so difficult!!!!! And hard to take care of everyone at the same time!

Practically, some things can help, but I have not found a miraculous solution.
-wear your baby in a sling or baby carrier, especially when you have to be busy with your other kids
-try going off of different foods for 2 weeks at a time
-avoid gassy foods such as cabbage, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, romaine
-try going off of other vegetables and fruits
-try dairy-free a little longer
-warm baths for the baby
- burp the baby well mid-feeding

Don't let anyone tell you to just leave the baby crying alone because he cries even when held, because nobody deserves that, let alone a baby that's uncomfortable and can't make sense of his world. Hold him, rock him, sing to him, even if he still cries. When/if he sleeps, give your other kids plenty of attention. They are watching and seeing how to care for someone helpless. They are learning from you how we show love to our family members, even if they have to wait for their lunch.

Hug and sympathy to you, and hang in there! This too shall pass!

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 8:26 pm
observer wrote:
Just wanted to chime in and say that I can so relate and it is so so difficult!!! Many of my babies have been colicky and yup, nonstop crying..It is so so difficult!!!!! And hard to take care of everyone at the same time!

-wear your baby in a sling or baby carrier, especially when you have to be busy with your other kids
-warm baths for the baby

Don't let anyone tell you to just leave the baby crying alone because he cries even when held, because nobody deserves that, let alone a baby that's uncomfortable and can't make sense of his world. Hold him, rock him, sing to him, even if he still cries. When/if he sleeps, give your other kids plenty of attention. They are watching and seeing how to care for someone helpless. They are learning from you how we show love to our family members, even if they have to wait for their lunch.

Thank you so much observer. I am already off all those food you mentioned and I can relate to the “let the baby cry” comment. It feels so cruel, my baby needs me how Can I simply let her cry alone? But my other kids need me too? And a house to run? I wish I can clone myself....lol. Re the sling, I’ve tried that by my other colicky kids and it didn’t help Sad.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 11:11 pm
I can totally relate to u!! I had a newborn that didn't stop crying and I totally lost it. It was extremely difficult to stay sane. Seek as much help as u can. I made myself into a nebach case and had high school girls come just to hold my baby so I could give my other kids some time and attention. Keep your head up, Hashem will help u get thru this stage:) keep thinking this too shall pass... Good luck!!!!

bestwife4

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 12:22 am
Might be Reflux
Thrush
Constipation etc

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 12:35 am
bestwife4 wrote:
Might be Reflux
Thrush
Constipation etc

BH it isn’t any of it. Just Very gassy and fussy

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 1:22 am
Is she gaining weight? If she has a weak latch, she may be hungry all the time. She also might be swallowing air while she's nursing. You said she's not your first, so I assume you know what you're doing, but every baby is different. She might just be super colicy, and unfortunately you just have to let her outgrow it. The sling didn't work for DD either, she hated every style I bought.

I agree with the poster who said for you to get as much household help as you can possibly afford. Colic is a nightmare for all concerned. Try to take care of yourself as best you can.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:53 am
Do you swaddle?
Read "the happiest baby on the block". The method he suggests really helps many babies.
In short, the 5 S's:
Swaddling
Sway/swinging
Shushing(white noise)
Side/stomach laying
Sucking

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:58 am
Are you sure it’s not reflux? My baby cried nonstop till he was diagnosed with reflux. Once he started taking medicine for it he was a different baby.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 4:42 am
She is displaying no signs of reflux (my other kids had reflux so I know the signs). Even had her checked out by pediatrician just in case....

SuperWify

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 8:54 am
I’m sorry.
Are you getting rest?
Op why oh why the guilt??
You just had s baby and need to recover!!
Where is DH?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 10:14 am
SuperWify wrote:
I’m sorry.
Are you getting rest?
Op why oh why the guilt??
You just had s baby and need to recover!!
Where is DH?

My DH has been amazing! He has taken over truly a lot and wouldn’t let me lift a finger when he is around, which is only on the weekend. During the week I have cleaning help but childcare is all on me, which is ok. I love my kids and wouldn’t want someone else to mother them... but it’s so hard to do with a crying colicky baby and I don’t want my other kids to become resentful...or me to snap on them g-d forbid. I have made myself easier...takeout dinners etc but my kids need ME, and All I can do is cry along with my newborn.....

animeme

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 10:22 am
amother wrote:
During the week I have cleaning help but childcare is all on me, which is ok.

But maybe not, right now. There's nothing wrong with bringing someone in for an hour or two to hold the baby or take the other kids out. An extra pair of hands can help everyone feel calmer. It helped me so much to have a high school girl in at supper time. I could talk to and serve my kids witbout a screaming baby cutting anyone off, and then she took them out to run around while I nursed calmly.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 10:45 am
If your baby is really gassy, try doing a total elimination diet. It was life changing for my kids, especially for my youngest. Basically, eat chicken for 3 days and then slowly add things back in. My youngest needed me to be off grains, dairy, eggs, fish, soy, nuts, lemon, tomato, lentils and other legumes, possibly something else that I'm forgetting at this point....it was really hard and really worthwhile.

Also, see if you can find a chiropractor who can adjust the baby.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 11:00 am
observer wrote:

-warm baths for the baby

If there's no other adult around sometimes leaving the baby crying in a safe place for a few minutes is the only option. The few minute bathroom breaks really saved my sanity when I had a baby that cried all day and refused to nap. I'm not suggesting leaving the baby alone while you cook a gourmet supper, but you can leave the baby in a swing or a bassinet while you quickly make a sandwich.

creditcards

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 11:14 am
Going off dairy really helped my baby. It took at least too weeks to see a differents.

animeme

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 11:19 am
Also, my colicy baby was helped a lot by infant massage. It calmed him overall to make him less reactive, and there's a technique that gently moves any gas down and out. He is older now, and still likes me to sometimes use some of the techniques.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 11:48 am
animeme wrote:
But maybe not, right now. There's nothing wrong with bringing someone in for an hour or two to hold the baby or take the other kids out. An extra pair of hands can help everyone feel calmer. It helped me so much to have a high school girl in at supper time. I could talk to and serve my kids witbout a screaming baby cutting anyone off, and then she took them out to run around while I nursed calmly.

Would you know which high schools in Boro Park have a “Mommy helpers” program?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics