Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Hugs for Preemies in Yerushalayim! Please join us.
1  2  Next

Liba

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 5:23 am
Hugs for Preemies in Yerushalayim

Tiny, fragile babies, all alone.

Parents have to leave their little tiny fragile babies in the NICU, knowing they won't be held until the mother or father returns. The baby will probably cry, but no one is there to hold him. The nurses are overworked and busy. They take care of the babies’ physical needs, working to keep them alive. They don’t have time to hold and cuddle these tiny, precious babies when they cry. But the tears of these babies – and their parents – could be alleviated with a simple chessed (act of lovingkindness).

The Zaky is a weighted, hand-shaped positioning device that makes the baby feel like he is being held. Scented by the parent, the Zaky lets the babies smell love, not just sterile hospital scents. They feel the weight of The Zaky hand on their backs, they feel it holding their heads – and they feel safe and secure. The tiny babies sleep peacefully, expending their energy on growing and breathing, not on crying and fussing. Hospitalization is shortened and trauma reduced.

In honor of my daughter Yenty, a 2.5-lb. (1160-gram) preemie who is now six months old, I would like to provide other babies in the NICU in Shaare Zedek with the same benefit that we appreciated so greatly. I would like other mothers and fathers to tuck their babies into these “spare hands” before they take leave for the night. I’d love for them to use The Zaky for those babies who aren't stable enough to be taken out of their incubators and held at all.

The Zaky "hands" are clinically proven to help premature babies. The Zaky reduces the babies’ stress, helps them remember to breathe, helps keep their heart rates steady and allows them to sleep and grow peacefully.

We need you to help us help these babies.

The NICU in Shaare Zedek Hospital in Jerusalem has 60 babies, and each of them could use a
set of Zaky hands. One set is $99, plus we have to get them here from the United States. Right now, our goal is to provide each of the 20 sickest and neediest preemies with a set of Zakys.

Please help make this a reality.

more information about The Zaky - http://nurturedbydesign.com/en.....l.php

If you would prefer to donate via Paypal please use this link: https://www.paypal.me/hugsforbabies

link to campaign: Hugs for Preemies in Yerushalayim

- posted with permission from Yael

Smile1234

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:11 am
Bump. This is so nice!!!

sped

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 2:18 am
Liba. I assume that is your baby? Wink I donated! It's such a nice idea.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 2:21 am
Liba, I am in awe. Wow, a beautiful 6 month old baby b"h! May she have continued health and be a huge source of nachas to you and your family!

myself

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:46 am
What a beautiful idea!

Liba

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 11:27 am
ra_mom wrote:
Liba, I am in awe. Wow, a beautiful 6 month old baby b"h! May she have continued health and be a huge source of nachas to you and your family!

Amen!!

This is Yenty now. She is B"H much bigger now, though still pitzy. Smile

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 11:35 am
Liba wrote:
Amen!!

This is Yenty now. She is B"H much bigger now, though still pitzy. Smile

I'm so happy for you Liba. She should bring you so much joy! What a beautiful neshama ka"h. 😘

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 11:51 am
Kah. I would totally do this, I think. When my son was hospitalized I offered to help with other babies (parents here don't really stay around) but was told, not allowed. So happy there's this in Israel.

Liba

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:21 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Kah. I would totally do this, I think. When my son was hospitalized I offered to help with other babies (parents here don't really stay around) but was told, not allowed. So happy there's this in Israel.

Smile This is actually a campaign to buy Zakys, special hand shaped weighted devices that make the babies FEEL held and hugged since only the parents and grandparents are allowed to be in the NICU to hug the babies, and there are many times that the teeny babies can't be taken out and held, even if the parents are there.

penguin

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:29 pm
Can we also start a campaign to convince hospitals that allowing approved relatives to come in and hold or touch the babies would be worthwhile?

We had relatives in NICU & were so frustrated that we could only go WITH a parent. The poor parents were exhausted running back and forth from NICU to other kids, and allowing a designated relative to spend time with baby would be so beneficial.

Although I like your idea, Liba, is it really as good as a real person?

Liba

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:53 pm
penguin wrote:
Can we also start a campaign to convince hospitals that allowing approved relatives to come in and hold or touch the babies would be worthwhile?

We had relatives in NICU & were so frustrated that we could only go WITH a parent. The poor parents were exhausted running back and forth from NICU to other kids, and allowing a designated relative to spend time with baby would be so beneficial.

Although I like your idea, Liba, is it really as good as a real person?

Their priority is keeping the babies alive. The fewer germs the better. I understand the rules, even if I don't love them.

And no, nothing is as good as a real person, but it is a much lower germ risk, doesn't get in the nurses and doctors ways and can be in the incubator with the baby when the baby isn't stable enough to be taken out.

Smile By us you could have the baby's grandparents there when the parents weren't there, but we didn't have any grandparents in the country!!

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:36 pm
So precious. I donated and got a relative to donate.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:59 pm
What an amazing idea!
Liba, your daughter is beautiful ke'H. lots of Nachas!

Last edited by Sunny Days on Mon, Jun 11 2018, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Liba

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:45 am
2GN wrote:
I wish I would've known about this when my baby spent 2 months in the hospital...now though she's in and out of the hospital she's older than 3 months. (although we're with her all the time we're not allowed to hold her all the time Sad.)

What an amazing idea!
Liba, your daughter is beautiful ke'H. lots of Nachas!

p.s. the hospital my daughter was in (in NY) allowed an approved visitor list if the parents weren't around to 'consent' to visitor. they had to show photo id and was limited to 2 people @ bedside. but it was still me there 99.5% of the time... (besides nights)

ETA: love the bear stickers to hold NG & high-flow in place!

They might still help her, even though she is older. It is hard to say. Yenty is six months old and sleeping with hers at the moment. They keep her from falling over sideways since she has to sleep on an incline.

I wish we had a way to get them for every baby out there who could benefit. Heart

Refuah shelayma to your daughter!!

Smile The bears were cute, some nurses used them, some didn't. I was always a tad bit disappointed on non bear days. LOL

Liba

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:45 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
So precious. I donated and got a relative to donate.

Thank you!!

Tizku lmitzvos!!

Liba

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:01 pm
Wow!!

Thank you all!!

We B"H reached 100% of our goal. I am still collecting for another week and every donation will be used towards additional Zakys to comfort additional babies. Donations are still appreciated, there are plenty more babies who could use comforting. We now have money for sets of Zakys for about half of the babies in Shaare Zedek's NICU. More would be wonderful, but I think we should all be proud of what we have accomplished thus far.

- Current Yenty picture attached for extra smiles. You all earned them.

heidi

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:46 pm
Liba wrote:
Their priority is keeping the babies alive. The fewer germs the better. I understand the rules, even if I don't love them.

And no, nothing is as good as a real person, but it is a much lower germ risk, doesn't get in the nurses and doctors ways and can be in the incubator with the baby when the baby isn't stable enough to be taken out.

Smile By us you could have the baby's grandparents there when the parents weren't there, but we didn't have any grandparents in the country!!

Kol Hakavod to you Liba!!
My son was in the NICU for a very short time several years ago. I stayed with him constantly, and there was a baby next to him that cried non stop. I got to know the parents who were completely overwhelmed and unable to be with the baby most of the time bcz. of work, kids etc. They had no family in the country. They and I approached the nurses to ask if I could hold the baby while I was sitting there anyway. And were given a firm and not too friendly no.
You are amazing for checking into this and taking it to the next level.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:27 pm
heidi wrote:
Kol Hakavod to you Liba!!
My son was in the NICU for a very short time several years ago. I stayed with him constantly, and there was a baby next to him that cried non stop. I got to know the parents who were completely overwhelmed and unable to be with the baby most of the time bcz. of work, kids etc. They had no family in the country. They and I approached the nurses to ask if I could hold the baby while I was sitting there anyway. And were given a firm and not too friendly no.
You are amazing for checking into this and taking it to the next level.

Oh my!

Last edited by Sunny Days on Mon, Jun 11 2018, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:32 pm
Liba wrote:
They might still help her, even though she is older. It is hard to say. Yenty is six months old and sleeping with hers at the moment. They keep her from falling over sideways since she has to sleep on an incline.

I wish we had a way to get them for every baby out there who could benefit. Heart

Refuah shelayma to your daughter!!

Smile The bears were cute, some nurses used them, some didn't. I was always a tad bit disappointed on non bear days. LOL

Any sponsors in NY Wink ?

Last edited by Sunny Days on Mon, Jun 11 2018, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

smileyfaces

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:33 pm
How nice! Glad your baby is doing well!
When my preemie was in the hospital for 2.5 months (born at 1300 grams) no one was allowed to hold or touch him. Nurses could only touch the baby using gloves. I was sad to leave my baby but had no choice. Couldn’t stay all day and night for that long.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics