Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood Schools

motherof3boys

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 8:26 pm
We are thinking about making a move to Tom's River. I am concerned about what school I will send my boys to. We are not "yeshivish", nor "modern". We are really middle of the road. My husband works, and wears colored shirts, and a black hat on shabbos. I cover my hair fully, elbows and knees. For reference, my sons currently go to Ohr Shraga Veretzky in Flatbush.
Here are some important critieria:

1. Good education
2. Warm teachers/rebbayim
3. Preferably smaller classes

Can anyone recommend a school that would be appropriate for us in Lakewood?

bargainlover

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 8:31 pm
Veretzky has a school in lakewood, maybe it would be a good fit

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 8:32 pm
YTT
Tashbar

motherof3boys

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 8:34 pm
@bargainlover We looked into it. It seems to be more Yeshivish than the Flatbush one
@amother can you elaborate at all?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 8:58 pm
Following. I'd love a school like that.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 9:18 pm
From what I hear Veretzky in Lakewood is more yeshivish than the one in Brooklyn. Different clientele.

Why don’t you look into Orchos Chaim? It seems to be the biggest mix of students and parent body. I personally know ALL types who send there and they all love it there.

You can also try YTT..nice working crowd.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 9:19 pm
Seconding YTT and Tashbar. You need to physically check out the schools to see .
Plenty of ppl living in Lkwd/TR/Jackson who fit your description.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 9:43 pm
Tashbar or Orchos Chaim. They both have excellent mix of people and great hanhala.
YTT is a bit more modern.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 9:53 pm
I dont know if u are aware but the school acceptance situation is very bad this year. Orchos Chaim is very hard to get into unless you have connections. Just something to consider before moving

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:06 pm
It always is hard to get into Orchos Chaim. My son is there and we literally had to beg and fight for a slot. And for the record my hubby is in kollel and I teach and we heard that they were looking for yungeleit cuz they like to have a mixed crowd. It was really tough! Good luck!

L K

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:14 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Tashbar or Orchos Chaim. They both have excellent mix of people and great hanhala.
YTT is a bit more modern.

I send to Ytt. Not sure what you mean. The crowd is a mix, with quite a few kids/grandkids of the hanhala and pretty big name non-modern rabbis. Also lots of working/business people. Maybe not a yeshivish feel, that's true.
Definitely a warm school.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:58 pm
Lots of luck.. OP R Bender from Far Rockaway was supposed to be the savior and open a school for the middle of the road crowd warm, friendly, accepts everyone until he yielded to pressure like any good politician.

Now his school is just as difficult to get in and as Lakewood as any other school...

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 8:22 am
L K wrote:
I send to Ytt. Not sure what you mean. The crowd is a mix, with quite a few kids/grandkids of the hanhala and pretty big name non-modern rabbis. Also lots of working/business people. Maybe not a yeshivish feel, that's true.
Definitely a warm school.

I agree. I would say YTT isn't yeshivish, but it's not modern.

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:47 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Lots of luck.. OP R Bender from Far Rockaway was supposed to be the savior and open a school for the middle of the road crowd warm, friendly, accepts everyone until he yielded to pressure like any good politician.

Now his school is just as difficult to get in and as Lakewood as any other school...

That's because he (naturally) gives priority to the children of his own graduates, because he feels a sense of responsibility towards them.

Given that a lot of Darchei boys live in Lakewood, that created an immediate crowd and the school filled up fast.

More schools will open in response to the straightforward market pressure. YTT, Tashbar and Orchos Chaim can't take every new family in Toms River. Therefore, someone will have to open another "middle of the road" school.

That being said, if you can get in to Tashbar, do so. Exceptionally well-run school.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:09 am
Theres also kol torah that doesnt do yiddish and not so yeshivish. I wouldnt say any yeshivos in lakewood are modern. Lots of the parents that are considered "modern" are usually pple that come from regular frum families and trying to be more to the cool side.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:13 am
Do serious research before you send to Kol Torah. I'm not saying anything against it but it does have a reputation as a school to avoid. Find out why that reputation is undeserved before you send there. On the flip side they are very easy to get into.

keym

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:22 am
amother wrote:
Do serious research before you send to Kol Torah. I'm not saying anything against it but it does have a reputation as a school to avoid. Find out why that reputation is undeserved before you send there. On the flip side they are very easy to get into.

Yes. Parents are pulling from there. Find out why. It could be nothing serious or bothersome, then send. But you want toknow whats going on before you send there.

keym

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:27 am
On a practical note, op how old are your boys? Some of the newer schools go upto 3rd, 4th grade. Even yisrael, nesivos?. Go to back Iissues of the voice for a full list. Maybe someone can give you a link. Call the schools and ask if they teach or teitch in yiddish. If they say yes, they are not for you.
Then research the rest.
But I agree with everyone else. Tashbar is amazing and well rounded.

benny

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 12:39 pm
I’m rolling that Yiddish teitsch schools are the ones to avoid bec Ohr Shraga in Flatbush tries to teach all in Yiddish no?

chat

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:55 pm
another vote for tashbar... gluck Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics