Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Prolapsed rectum???

MommyLuv

Post Sat, Jul 28 2007, 11:04 pm
DD had a scary incident today...

She was sitting on the toilet and when I bent down to help her wipe, I saw a red mass coming out of her backside shock ....

DH and I both freaked out and didn't know what to do, but then the mass went back inside after she got off the potty and she didn't seem to be in any pain or anything.

She had been sitting on the toilet for a while, but not b/c of constipation...she was actually having very loose stools lately.

We called her ped. after Shabbos, who said it's not uncommon, it can happen when a child strains too hard to have a BM, but we should monitor and if it happens again, we should see him. It can be also the sign of a bigger problem...not sure that I want to know what exactly those problems can be....

Anyone had this happen ever? Confused It really got us worried... Shaking

Last edited by MommyLuv on Sun, Jul 29 2007, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Jul 28 2007, 11:08 pm
It happened to one of my kids when quite young,either 3 or 4 and straining very hard , I taught the child not to strain so hard, and b"h nothing since then.

Boys"R"Us

Post Sun, Jul 29 2007, 1:52 am
We had this when my ds was 4. Then just recently (he is now 6),

It is very scary looking! It is actually a prolapsed rectum.

If you want to PM me, I can tell you what I know, but basically what the above poster said:

Teach the child not to push too hard, and never let them sit on the toilet for too long at a time!

Jo

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 9:30 am
Prolapsed rectum is not that common in young kids. It can certainly happen due to constipation and straining.
Your ped was probably thinking about the link between rectal prolapse and cystic fibrosis...and that's why they mentioned that it could be a sign of a bigger problem. There is a simple, non invasive test (called a sweat test) that can be done to look for CF and it might be worth doing, just to be sure that it has been ruled out as a cause.

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:41 am
Jo wrote:
Prolapsed rectum is not that common in young kids. It can certainly happen due to constipation and straining.
Your ped was probably thinking about the link between rectal prolapse and cystic fibrosis...and that's why they mentioned that it could be a sign of a bigger problem. There is a simple, non invasive test (called a sweat test) that can be done to look for CF and it might be worth doing, just to be sure that it has been ruled out as a cause.

I know...DH and I keep obsessing about the link and researching it on the net. But we were both tested with Dor Yeshorim and that includes CF...and they said we were compatible...

I'm seeing the ped. tomorrrow, So we'll see what he says. Thanks for your replies.

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 07 2007, 10:47 am
DD (now 5) has had this a few times since she was three. She went through a whole gamut of GI tests (including CF which I knew she didn't have since I'm not a carrier), which are b'h fine-- in the end it was caused by certain periods where she would willfully withhold her bms, which was psychological.

Just a few important things to know:

-Do your best to make sure her stools are soft-- my DD takes Miralax everyday and probably will for a while.
-Her feet should ALWAYS be placed on the floor or a stool when she is going- the position of feet dangling off the toilet makes you more suceptible to the prolapse
-If it doesn't go back in by itself after a little while you can take a warm, sterilized washcloth and try to put it in yourself. IF it doesn't go in by itself after about an hour she should go to the dr/er.

Feel free to PM if you want to know more about my personal experience.
Good luck! It is very scary the first time you see it...

amother

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 2:23 pm
yup! Very Happy
We had that happen to one of my kids. We called the paramedics, they came and said they never saw this and decided we shoud go to the emergancy room. There they told us it is NOT a life threatening thing etc... Its not very serious. If it happens again do NOT wipe it because it is a part of the body that is supposed to be "dirty" but wait a few min and if it doesnt go back by itself you can gently roll in the sides. They said they see a lot of this with kids who are abused, but they sized us up pretty quickly and skipped those questions. all in all the experience was pretty humorous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics