Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Have to bring mohel from OOT for shabbat

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 5:28 pm
Due to crazy circumstances- too long to get into here we have to bring in a mohel for Shabbat from another city. Obviously we will pay for hotel and food etc, but I know that he usually says, "whatever you can afford, etc." What have you paid to a mohel that has to come in for Shabbat (and of course leave his family) This is a huge favor he is doing for us.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 5:38 pm
Since he's leaving his family, it might be nice to also send them something delicious for that Shabbos (chocolate platter? gourmet desserts?)...

doctorima

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 5:51 pm
Is it an option to pay to bring in his family and put them up at the hotel with him and provide food for all of them, so that at least he won't have to be away from them for the entire Shabbos?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:20 pm
We did offer to bring his whole family and pay for hotel and food for all- although he appreciated the offer, his family would rather stay home- understandably- the kids would be really bored here.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
Since he's leaving his family, it might be nice to also send them something delicious for that Shabbos (chocolate platter? gourmet desserts?)...

What a lovely thought!

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 8:27 pm
I grew up with my father being a Mohel and going away every now and then for an OOT bris. Honestly, we kids thought of it as an honor and so did my father! Everyone was proud and happy! I know that's not what you were asking, but just telling you this so that you hear the other side of the story.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:
I grew up with my father being a Mohel and going away every now and then for an OOT bris. Honestly, we kids thought of it as an honor and so did my father! Everyone was proud and happy! I know that's not what you were asking, but just telling you this so that you hear the other side of the story.

Your parents brought you up right : )
I am assuming you had no idea what he got paid though- I don't want to give an insulting amount - I am sure the mohel would not care as he usually does not charge, but he is doing us a real chessed and want to compensate.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 10:06 pm
No personal experience with this. I don't know your financial resources or the norms in your community, but here in Brooklyn, I think people usually give the mohel around $500+ for a basic weekday bris, so for coming for an entire Shabbos and being away from his family I would aim to give $1000-$1500.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:
Your parents brought you up right : )
I am assuming you had no idea what he got paid though- I don't want to give an insulting amount - I am sure the mohel would not care as he usually does not charge, but he is doing us a real chessed and want to compensate.

Amounts really vary by community. A regular local weekday bris for my father was on average 2/300.00. A "richer" one sometimes gave like 500.00. Honestly I would say just give about double than what would be considered "normal" for where the Mohel is coming from. (Though standard is ok as well...)

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 12:00 am
I don't know your budget, etc. but we had a bris in brooklyn but the mohel changed his plans to go to israel so he can be the moel for us (big chessed and favor) so we payed for the change of tickets (he and wife) and $1500
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics