Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What is up with friends calling all hours of the night??
Previous  1  2

petiteruchy

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 5:38 am
Ruchel wrote:
Abnormal. Don't let people tell you it's normal.

It is normal. I was doing it as a teen years ago and so was my mother. Doesn't mean it's acceptable or necessary for every family but it is normal. Teens like to talk, and given the average teen girl's schedule, late at night is sometimes the best time.

I work with chassidish teen girls and they're talking on the phone in the middle of the night too. They're in school for 9 hours (with not much social time), they babysit, they have chores and homework. Often they're putting little siblings to bed and waiting until the house is quieter before embarking on homework and socializing.

Ideally they'd put the phone down and go to bed, but it's been unrealistic for probably all of human history to expect teens to put sleep ahead of more interesting things like talking.

OP, enforce some rules if you'd like. The phone should not be ringing off the hook and waking you up. If I were you, my rules would be more about not inconveniencing the household, rather than actually preventing the talking - ie I'd probably turn a blind eye to any workarounds she figures out, unless it's impacting her functionality the next day.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children