Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
App to help with reading

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 4:55 pm
My 9 year son needs to practice his reading. Any ideas which apps are good? Its fine if its not free.

Thanks

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 4:57 pm
Do you let him play video games?

Lily2

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 5:04 pm
Maybe try read a book with him.
During special time before bed perhaps.
Often it's a matter of constant practise to gain fluency accuracy and speed.
He will also enjoy the bonding time.
Good luck

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 5:44 pm
On occasion Ill let him play video games. We do read books together but he doesn't have patience what so ever. I figured maybe a good app will be more interesting and will help him

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
On occasion Ill let him play video games. We do read books together but he doesn't have patience what so ever. I figured maybe a good app will be more interesting and will help him

Get him Pokemon games. They have a lot of fast paced reading. He will gain the reading skill along the way, and the points get him roped in. He will be mesmerized and educated at the same time.

Fox suggested reading pirate books to me. I also found frum comic books to be engaging for the boys.

My philosophy was to my son fluent in reading and then switch subjects.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:10 pm
Thanks squishy for the information

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:13 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks squishy for the information

My son went from below grade level to 8 grades above level. I only let him play electronics that had a lot of reading.

Hatzloucha

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 5:17 pm
I don't know what level your son is on, but I have some suggestions.

Starfall has several great apps, most are free, they range from very basic skills to for capable readers. Check them out to see which one is appropriate.

Teach your monster to read also has good programs, 3 levels. Free to play online on a computer, or you can pay for the app on a tablet or phone.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 6:51 pm
Thanks floralwhite for the suggestion I will check them out

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:22 pm
Good suggestions above, I'm going to look into those that I haven't seen before!

The company that makes Fast ForWord (for auditory processing, language, dyslexia, +) also makes a program called Reading Assistant, it's under $200 for the entire license, and it provides a very high level of structured reading practice. The child reads aloud into a headset so the program can evaluate their fluency and adapt the level accordingly.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:42 pm
seeker wrote:
Good suggestions above, I'm going to look into those that I haven't seen before!

The company that makes Fast ForWord (for auditory processing, language, dyslexia, +) also makes a program called Reading Assistant, it's under $200 for the entire license, and it provides a very high level of structured reading practice. The child reads aloud into a headset so the program can evaluate their fluency and adapt the level accordingly.

Have you tried it?

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:44 pm
Not personally, no. But I do use Fast ForWord so I feel confident with that company. I'd say it's for someone looking for an intense level of practice without hiring a tutor or sitting on their kids' head themselves.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:59 pm
seeker wrote:
Not personally, no. But I do use Fast ForWord so I feel confident with that company. I'd say it's for someone looking for an intense level of practice without hiring a tutor or sitting on their kids' head themselves.

That's exactly what I am looking for. Thanks. I will check the website n see what they offer

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 11:12 pm
I'm a Fast ForWord provider so if you need someone to order through I could arrange it. IIRC you may not need to go through a provider for Reading Assistant though.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 11:14 pm
seeker wrote:
I'm a Fast ForWord provider so if you need someone to order through I could arrange it. IIRC you may not need to go through a provider for Reading Assistant though.

What is the Fast ForWord program for?

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
What is the Fast ForWord program for?

As opposed to the other program that mainly provides loads of passage-reading practice, Fast ForWord targets specific skills - auditory processing, phonics, language. It's a more intensive intervention that's well suited for learning disabilities.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children