Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
My 3 year old ds is so stubborn. I feel like crying.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 6:13 am
Ds is three and a half. He refused for the longest time to be toilet trained.
Finally we figured it was time to just take away diapers. We pumped him up, got him prizes and treats and cute underwear. When he made in the potty we cheered and clapped and told him we were so proud. For 2 or 3 days, he was good about it, and then... he just stopped. At school, he holds it in all day, and at home, he has accident after accident. He refuses to try to go to the potty no matter what I bribe him with. I'm at my wits end! Am I supposed to put him back in diapers now???

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 7:56 am
I think yes. Because it has become a whole power struggle. When he has accidents at home, how do you react?

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 8:08 am
When my 2 year old was trained already, he started having accidents at home. I asked him if he wants diapers for at home, he was delighted! He wore diapers at home for another 6 weeks, and then just stopped one day. He's been mostly accident free since.

I know, 2 is different than 3, but I do what is good for my kid and me in the moment. As long as he wears his underwear in school, it's fine with me.

He didn't have extra accidents in school, and I wasn't cleaning up pee and poo all day.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 9:13 am
He problem is that when I offered him to wear diapers, he didn't want to- just underwear.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
Am I supposed to put him back in diapers now???

What's the alternative?

crust

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
He problem is that when I offered him to wear diapers, he didn't want to- just underwear.

So underwear can be his prize for keeping himself dry.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 10:29 am
Put him in diapers. Do NOT make this a battle. But I'd try speaking to him when he doesn't feel threatened and see if you can get any info on why he may be reacting so strongly...
All experienced moms I know have kids in peyos tzitzis and diapers... He wont be wearing one down the aisle try not to let it stress u. I would also get a couple of children potty training books u can read him. But NEVER show him u want anything from him or are upset by it. Play it cool. My attitude? I train them when they beg

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 10:30 am
I had this problem and did something very controversial, but it worked. Good luck it is so annoying! (And in my case it was #2 as well, not just #1!)

carrot

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
I had this problem and did something very controversial, but it worked. Good luck it is so annoying! (And in my case it was #2 as well, not just #1!)

What did you do? Not training anyone at the moment, but now I'm so curious.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 11:06 am
My first kid I was desparate. She was already ikder than all the kids in playgroup by 2 months and school is only when ur potty trained. She had accidents at school and on the ride home.
It was HARD.

My second kid only wanted to take her pamper off. She did one day. And said she wanted a panty. So we did just that! She peed and pooped on the carpet. Once she did it 4 times in a 18 hour period. I cried. Then cleaned and disinfected the carpet. Lol
But bh. She still has accidents. But she's so proud of her panty. She's not even going out yet. Still home with mommy.

My oldest still needs a pull-up at night. Little woke up dry every single night since I potty trained her.
The little one can wait till we get to a toilet. The older one, when she needs to go she can't wait. She needs to go asapick. If we are traveling and there is nowhere to stop the little one will be able to wait. The big one, wed have to stop and I'd put her on a pamper at the side of the road or else shed pee herself.

Point is, every child is different. If he isn't making at playgrouo/school/cheder, then let him have a pamper.

As a previous poster said, he won't walk down the isle in a pamper. It's not worth the struggle and the anxiety. And the fighting with a 3 year old
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training