Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Recipe for Rugelach
1  2  Next

Flower97

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 5:36 pm
Hi,

First time posting. I am looking for an easy recipe for Rugelach.

Thanks.

purplegirl

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 6:49 pm
Welcome! Mr. Green

I find that typical rugelach recipes come out hard, like cookies. I used cinnamon bun dough for rugelach, and they came out puffy and soft liket he bakery ones. Here's my recipe:

4 ½ teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water

Dissolve the yeast in the water, put aside to rest for 10 minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~

2 sticks margarine (225 grams)
1 cup boiling water
1 cup sugar

Mix all of this together, then add the yeast mixture (after it rested) and the following:
4 eggs
8 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

Let rise for 2 hours.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Roll it out into a circle, pour a teaspoonful of oil on the circle and spread it with your hand (so the filling will stick), and slice into pizza slices, thin ones (12 to 16 slices per pie), then sprinkle on generous filling.

Filling:
2:1 Sugar:Cocoa OR
Vanilla sugar OR
Cinnamon and brown sugar.

Roll up each slice starting from the outside and rolling tightly toward the center. Place on parchment paper on cookie sheet and glaze with a mixture of confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar) and water. Leave space between them as they will rise and grow and you don't want them sticking to each other.

Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 15-20 minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can use this same recipe for cinnamon buns, babka, danishes and anything else you come up with Mr. Green

Flower97

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 8:11 pm
Thanks. How much sugar and cocoa do you use? Does the dough have to be put into the fridge before cutting?

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 8:37 pm
how can one make those oooey gooy centers for rugaluch like with greens kokosh in cinnamon and chocolate?

purplegirl

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 7:34 am
Flower97 wrote:
Thanks. How much sugar and cocoa do you use? Does the dough have to be put into the fridge before cutting?

Don't put dough in fridge - that's for the cookie-like dough. Don't you trust my directions?!?! Mr. Green

Mix together a whole cupful of filling, keeping the ratio 2:1. For example, 2/3 cup sugar to 1/3 cup cocoa. If you need more, make more.

faigie wrote:
how can one make those oooey gooy centers for rugaluch like with greens kokosh in cinnamon and chocolate?

As follows:
~ make sure to use this dough or any challah dough - not the cookie-like doughs in most cookbooks
~ make the circle very large, so that the rugelach will be rolled many times on their way toward the center.
~ make the circle as thin as you can, so it doesn't rise too much
~ roll them tightly, that way the dough in the middles won't rise so much and will stay packed together and absorb the filling
~ use more oil, to make filling more moist
~ use lotsa filling

Last edited by purplegirl on Tue, Jul 17 2007, 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total

purplegirl

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 7:38 am
On a delicious tangent:

I was making a large batch of sweet challah, and after braiding six loaves I was just too fed up to braid the remaining two, so...

I rolled out the dough into two flat circles, sprinkled chocolate and sugar on them (so far it sounds like rugelach...) but instead of making the pizza pie and individual rugelach, I rolled up each circle into a tube, and shmushed them into a loaf pan. I made some streusel to throw on top, and what did I have? Gooey chocolate babka! I could NOT believe it - I'd made it up all on my own! (Okay, a bunch of you are going, "duh?" but for me this was cool.)

So I'm just throwing this idea out there for those who want the gooey-ness with less work.

faigie

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 8:36 am
I should also add oil to the filling mixture? how much oil in ratio please?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 10:39 am
I posted a recipe for fake cheese rugelech, I’ll try to bump it up for you.

purplegirl

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 5:04 pm
faigie wrote:
Quote:

I should also add oil to the filling mixture? how much oil in ratio please?

You don't add it to the filling - you pour oil onto the rolled out circle and spread it over the whole surface with your hand. Then you sprinkle filling on top. Be generous with the oil, but it shouldn't be dripping.

Sofia2

Post Thu, Jul 19 2007, 6:42 pm
Can I use this dough for a kokosh cake too?

Basya

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 10:15 am
Purple girl- if you use challah dough for rugalach- are they hamotzi? I was going to use your great idea- but I was thinking- to wash and bentch for just a rugelah...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 1:58 pm
you are eating less than a kezayis, right?

Basya

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 3:09 pm
Um, cm, we are big mezonos eaters. The chance that we will eat less than a kzayis- is pretty small!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 3:28 pm
why not ask the rov, then, if the water should be replaced by apple juice.

Basya

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 3:34 pm
cm, do you think that it would taste okay if I substituted the water with juice?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 3:42 pm
I'm sure it would be fine. better than fine, delicious!

ny21

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 2:28 pm
hey ! I found this ! did not know where to look ! Wink

buzzinmom

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 5:09 pm
yum I just made these rugelach and they were awesome. I only made half the recipe and I have a million of them I feel like I am never gna finish them but I prbbly will bec they taste so awesome. I made choc, vanilla and cinn and they are all great (yea dont tell ne one I tasted 2 of each!!!) I especially liked the recipe bec the dough was not sticky so the mixing bowl was super easy to clean and they were very easy to roll out. thank you so much for posting this recipe....it is getting a special place in my recipe box.

pinkbubbles

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 10:31 pm
This thread sounds yum Mr. Green

Can't wait til I have my next 'baking day' to try making rugelach!

sympa

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 5:33 am
Basya wrote:
Purple girl- if you use challah dough for rugalach- are they hamotzi? I was going to use your great idea- but I was thinking- to wash and bentch for just a rugelah...

Just looking up a recipe for rugelach, and noticed your post...
They are NOT hamotzi. Chocolate (or other) filled dough - even if it's baked yeast dough - is considered Pas Haba B'Kisnin. The bracha is Mezonos, and the bracha acharona is Al Hamichya.

The exception to this rule is if you are "kovea seuda" with that food - if you are actually eating rugelach for dinner, and you are eating the amount of rugelach equivalent to the amount of food you would normally consume for a meal - than you may have to wash and bensh. Some poskim estimate this as 8 k'zeisim (NOT 1 k'zayis as suggested above). If you were to eat about 6 regular-size rugelach in one sitting, instead of a meal, then you should ask a shaila about bensching.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins