Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Girls/Women lighting Chanukah candles
Previous  1  2  3

Do you and/or your daughter(s) light Chanukah candles?
Yes - I am Yeshivish  
 16%  [ 28 ]
No - I am Yeshivish  
 14%  [ 24 ]
Yes - I am Chassidish  
 8%  [ 15 ]
No - I am Chassidish  
 23%  [ 40 ]
Yes - I am Modern Orthodox  
 18%  [ 32 ]
No - I am Modern Orthodox  
 7%  [ 12 ]
Yes - I am none of the above  
 4%  [ 7 ]
No - I am none of the above  
 7%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 171

chanchy123

Post Fri, Dec 22 2017, 5:46 am
rzab wrote:
It's so funny, we were just talking about this as I've been thinking about it a lot. I don't really understand the notion of isto kgufo for this mitzvah. When are my husband and I ever responsible for each other's mitzvot?
I'm sefardi so I never lit growing up. As mentioned it was one per house. When I got married (to an Ashkenazi) I didn't start. Now that my children all light (girls and boys) I started to realize how strange it is for me not to light. I'm not sure that I understand the distinction between a married and single woman on this one.
I think next year I am going to light my own

You can light on your DHs behalf as well. Maybe alternate nights between each other. Your DH had no greater chiyuv than you do.

rzab

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 2:03 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
You can light on your DHs behalf as well. Maybe alternate nights between each other. Your DH had no greater chiyuv than you do.

I know that, but it still doesn't make sense that we should light one to begin with. If you define ner eish ubeito to mean that every single person should light, there should be no distinction between men and women.
Especially since women are obligated the same way men are (af hen hayu b'oto ha'nes)

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 2:27 pm
rzab wrote:
I know that, but it still doesn't make sense that we should light one to begin with. If you define ner eish ubeito to mean that every single person should light, there should be no distinction between men and women.
Especially since women are obligated the same way men are (af hen hayu b'oto ha'nes)

You're right, but איש וביתו gets understood as husband plus wife (she's ביתו). There's no distinction between men and women per see, it's a distinction between singles and marrieds. So all men light, all women light, and one parent lights. It doesn't matter whether it's husband or wife. We tend to leave religion to men, so usually it's the husband/father lighting, but it's probably a good idea educationally for parents to alternate, so the children understand that both men and women are equally obligated.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions