Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do adminstrative assistants have room for growth?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 11:07 am
I'm looking to get back into work force after a few years as a sahm. I'm also looking to do something somewhat different from what I was doing before, though there are many transferable skills, it doesn't require new training or anything. I'm having a hard time finding a job. I do understand that new career plus out of work force for awhile means that I'm going to be coming in at entry level, and that's fine. I know the jobs I've applied to aren't unreasonable because I've been called for interviews. Unfortunately, nothing has panned out yet. I've started applying for adminstrative assistant jobs at places that have the types of positions I really want in the hopes that it could be a foot in the door. I'm just wondering if that'll really help. I definitely don't want to be an administrative assistant for too long. Do assistants typically move up and to other departments within the organization? Will it give me the chance to be considered for different types of positions eventually? Or do assistants typically stay assistants?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 12:06 pm
I have seen it both ways, but I would say that typically an admin assistant stays an admin assistant. In my corporate company, the admin assistant for my department was there for 30 years before she passed away, but did get promoted to senior admin assistant as some point. I have seen admin assistants in different departments who were high performers and were proactive about their career branch out into different positions that had more potential growth for them. Other admin assistants worked their way up to work for more important people in the corporation therefore getting more responsibilities and compensation.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 12:07 pm
Look at large companies that tend to promote from within and that have their own management training programs. Going anon to mention that my own company, DaVita, is worth looking at if you are interested in health care management.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 11:42 pm
It really depends on the company you are going into and their area for growth.

For example a company on the larger side may have areas for you to move up from admin assistant to admin / manager / something else in the business itself once you have been in the business long enough to learn it.
A smaller, growing company may let you grow / move up with it as it grows.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 04 2018, 12:03 am
It also depends what kind of admin assistant you are. If you are more like a personal secretary to a specific person than there is not much room for growth because you are kind of tied down to that person. If you are working for a company that has a lot of admin assistants doing the clerical work, you can move up to project manager or supervisor. I know many people (mainly lkwd) where they started out at 19 20 yr old admin assistants and after 10 years are now in supervisor roles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics