Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Camp alone

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 5:49 pm
Would you send your 7th grade daughter to camp by herself? I'm thinking of sending to adas, none of her classmates are going. Its getting late to apply, so we need to make a decision.

flmommy

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 5:55 pm
Is she willing to go alone? Does she make friends easily?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 5:58 pm
She's willing because she knows otherwise shes not going to camp. But she has no idea what it really means. Makes friends quick enough, I'm worried for the first few days when everyone has someone.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:02 pm
I am an extremely social, friendly, cheerful person. I went to camp alone at 13. It was my first sleep away camp experience. It did NOT work out for me. I was the neb of the bunk and an outcast. With my personality I made the best of it and convinced myself I was having fun, but looking back, it was a really sad experience for myself.

I’m just sharing my experience. I’m not saying that will happen to your daughter.

cm

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:09 pm
In general, I would say it's fine to send to camp without school friends, because I did and had two sets of friends and it was fine. That being said, if the camp starts in elementary school and only goes through eighth grade (for example), it may be hard to break into well-formed social groups. If it's a camp for teenagers that only starts in seventh grade, it's less of a worry as long as the camp and the type of girls who go are otherwise a good fit.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:16 pm
It's a great way to make friends and meet new people. But you have to know your kid.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:36 pm
Thank you everyone for replying.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:48 pm
I've noticed that it depends on the camp's social dynamic. Some camps tend to be clicky. In other camps the girls are warm and friendly to newcomers.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:51 pm
Does your daughter want to go alone? Why wouldn't she want to go where her classmates are going? It's a gamble going alone, she might be happy or miserable.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 6:05 am
Adas is 50% Vien girls and 50% girls from other schools. So it is very likely that there will be other girls who are there "alone" too.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 6:33 am
I'm wondering why only one camp is an option for your daughter, and otherwise you won't allow her to go.

I think there's alot of variables in your question; it depends on the child, it depends on the camp(ers)....

I sent my oldest child to camp precisely so that she would make friends that would carry over into the school year. (they had mixed up her grade so that she landed in a class without her previous friends, and it was hard to break in.) It worked - as soon as I registered her for camp, she was suddenly part of a group - girls were saying hi in the hallways, and getting together to talk about what fun they would be having....

So no, I wouldn't send to camp without friends, since for me that would defeat half the purpose. But people send to camp for other reasons - so you need to evaluate your child, the camp, and what you are wanting out of this.

das

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 6:35 am
No. It rarely works out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children