Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Teaneck, NJ
Previous  1  2

MMEC123

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 5:10 pm
613 wrote:
I heard there will be a new Yeshiva (boys only) opening this coming year in Bergen County (isn't that Teaneck area?). It's called Yeshiva Ohr Yosef - Torah High School of Bergen County.
I don't live anywhere near Teaneck, but my dh is very close to the menahel. So if anyone wants more info. about it, PM me.
I believe the Yeshiva (Ohr Yosef) is going to be in or very near to Paramus.

Racheli

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 7:37 pm
I also live in Bergenfield. I think the Teaneck community is fantastic, in part because it is so diverse (within the Orthodox community). There are many school options with a half hour drive. Another woman already wrote about the schools right here, but Monsey is 20 minutes away, if you want more options within the yeshivish world. The Broyers community in Washington Heights has a great school and I know people from this community send their children there. There are many kosher restaurants and kosher markets. There are lots of houses at lots of prices.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 6:54 am
Quote:
As for schools, YNJ (Yeshiva of North Jersey) is separate from 1st grade and up and it is the most "right wing" school in the neighborhood.
wow, I went to YNJ, almost 15 years ago and it was not considered a right wing sschool at all back then. how the times they are a changing:)

Quote:
Most of Teaneck does not have sidewalks. You'll find a street here or there that does. Most ppl do need cars to get places. Public transportation is not great.

im not sure what part of teaneck you saw, but I lived there growing up and there are almost no streets that do not have sidewalks. where are you talking about that doesnt have any?

I loved growing up there. it is a very mixed community. you have very very modern ppl and you have very very ultra orthodox ppl and its nice that way, a great big mix of ppl and 99.99999999999% of the time everyone gets along with everyone:)

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 9:03 am
OP here again, I'm glad it sounds so nice there. Where would you start looking for apartements for rent?

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 9:51 am
shabbatiscoming-Your side of Teaneck had sidewalks. Mine (I am the one who emails you...) had barely any at all. It depends where you lived. Different areas have diff things.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming-Your side of Teaneck had sidewalks. Mine (I am the one who emails you...) had barely any at all. It depends where you lived. Different areas have diff things.

hi;) got it, I think I know where you are talking about but I still thought, obviously wrong, that there were all over teaneck, maybe a street here or there, but ok....Smile

DesignMommy

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 11:27 am
Where I live most streets do have sidewalks!
Shabbatiscoming, YNJ is very different now then it used to be, and the parent/student body is moving further to the right. I have a good friend who graduated from there as well!
As for apartments, I don't really think there are any in Bergenfield, but there are houses for rent- you should call a realtor.
Also, there is a HUGE yahoo group for teaneck Shuls (the frum community in Teaneck, Bergenfield, New Milford) where you can post looking for an apartment, house for rent, anything!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 12:17 pm
DesignMommy wrote:
Where I live most streets do have sidewalks!
Shabbatiscoming, YNJ is very different now then it used to be, and the parent/student body is moving further to the right. I have a good friend who graduated from there as well!

yeah, I know, it sort of makes me sad that it is not the same as whne I ws in school:( but what can I do about it, huh? the teachers, some of them, were tothe right, but mostly just regular orthodox..........the world is a changin' Smile

you have sidewalks, so you must be on the same side of the traintracks that I grew up on Wink

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 12:23 pm
I dunno... I am also long out of YNJ but I subbed there etc for a while and I have other connections into there. I also am amused by it being called the most right school. I think it is mainly because of the separate classes etc. I think it is more a statement about the other schools than about YNJ that it is more to the right than them (and that I agree with - that it is more to the right).

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
I dunno... I am also long out of YNJ but I subbed there etc for a while and I have other connections into there. I also am amused by it being called the most right school. I think it is mainly because of the separate classes etc. I think it is more a statement about the other schools than about YNJ that it is more to the right than them (and that I agree with - that it is more to the right).

hm, you went to ynj???????/ Smile im so curious if we know eachother????SmileSmileSmile
yeah, I think you are correct that it is a statement about the other schools like yavneh and moriah and I dont really even know the other schools there as I dont live there anymore.

malkie

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
What is your background?

I guess we're plain frum but would daven in a yeshivish shul, not a Young Israel type, but are more likely to send to a not yeshivish school.

Where is the "most yeshivish" area?

We are first looking into no commute, all the better for family time.

I think Teaneck would be great for you then. There is a nice Yeshivish shul there (I don't know the name offhand, but I have been to the shul before), and the schools are not yeshivish.

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 3:25 pm
amother wrote:

ITA

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:

Exactly. My siblings went there, and I send my kids there and I consider myself halachic MO. The school has gotten better academically, but the hashkafa has remained pretty much the same. The parent body may be a little more to the right, but this is indicative of the general shift and not of the school itself.

For example, the people who are associated with the Yeshiva here or are used to frummer communities and are here for a specific reason WILL NOT send their kids to YNJ since they don't feel comfortable.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 12:10 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

ITA

what does this mean?

sarahd

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 5:42 am
I totally agree.

DesignMommy

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 5:56 am
No one said that it is A right wing school, just that it is the school which is the most ring-wing, in THIS neighborhood.
That said, I know of plenty other parents of children in the school (especially in the younger grades) who consider themselves Yeshivish, or YU/Yeshivish, not MO.

amother

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 10:06 am
DesignMommy wrote:
No one said that it is A right wing school, just that it is the school which is the most ring-wing, in THIS neighborhood.
That said, I know of plenty other parents of children in the school (especially in the younger grades) who consider themselves Yeshivish, or YU/Yeshivish, not MO.

To Yeshivish people YU yeshivish is not considered yeshivish-- and those are the bulk of "right" people in this area. I don't know too many real yeshivish people around here, and those who are do not for the most part, send their kids to YNJ.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 10:47 am
bump
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics