Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Grand Canyon

amother

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 2:17 pm
OK we are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon (not with a tour). Any tips? Is one day enough (one night)?
also we are driving in from LA- any Calis here that did the trip? how long did it take? did you drive around with your car or is it batter to use the free shuttles?

TIA

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 2:19 pm
I went in an organized tour, but I would say:
- one day is enough unless you plan to see things around
- from LA? it's far! we had a driver b'h. I cannot remembers how many hours it took though

If you can, have a helicopter flight over the canyon, it's GORGEOUS. But take a double dose of anti motion sickness pills.

cindy324

Post Sun, Jul 22 2007, 10:33 pm
Quote:
If you can, have a helicopter flight over the canyon, it's GORGEOUS. But take a double dose of anti motion sickness pills.

OMG shock NEVER!!! Not after what happened a few years ago to all those poor people from Flatbush and Seagate Sad

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 12:17 pm
cindy324 wrote:
Quote:

OMG shock NEVER!!! Not after what happened a few years ago to all those poor people from Flatbush and Seagate Sad

what happened? I did that in 2001, a loooong time ago

cindy324

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 12:28 pm
That's about the time it happened Ruchel. A bunch of frum young people from my area went on vacation to Vegas, and 8 of them decided to take a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon. One of the helicopters crashed and killed 5 of the 6 passengers plus the pilot. The 6th, a young woman was severely burnt and I'm not even sure what's happened to her since, she's been in very bad shape. It was a terrible tragedy as these were people we knew personally, saw them almost on a daily basis.

su7kids

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 12:32 pm
cindy324 wrote:
That's about the time it happened Ruchel. A bunch of frum young people from my area went on vacation to Vegas, and 8 of them decided to take a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon. One of the helicopters crashed and killed 5 of the 6 passengers plus the pilot. The 6th, a young woman was severely burnt and I'm not even sure what's happened to her since, she's been in very bad shape. It was a terrible tragedy as these were people we knew personally, saw them almost on a daily basis.

Wasn't that the amazing story of how the tragedy of the passing of those people saved a few hundred people from being in the WTC on September 11th, because they were at a Shloshim minyan for them?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 12:38 pm
wow!!! we never heard of it here in France... how horrible!! it's true, helicopters are not the safest thing and the wind is extra strong there...

How horrible.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 12:43 pm
Op here.
Yes, you bet I remember that story and no, will NOT go on the helicopter. As soon as we started talking about going to grand canyon I automatically thought of that story Sad so sad! It happened in the summer, before sep. 11.

Quote:
from LA? it's far! we had a driver b'h. I cannot remembers how many hours it took though

yes, we are expecting it to take like six hours, just wanted to know if anyone did it and how long it actually took?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 12:49 pm
su7kids wrote:
cindy324 wrote:

Wasn't that the amazing story of how the tragedy of the passing of those people saved a few hundred people from being in the WTC on September 11th, because they were at a Shloshim minyan for them?

Yes, this is the story.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 2:09 am
We went to the grand canyon... and in my opinion, its most worthwhile if you hike down and up the grand canyon, and sleep at the bottom- either in tents or at the hotel down there. That would mean minimum 2 days there...
Then again, if you're coming with little kids, that may not be an option.
However, they do have mule rides down. Its just a tad more expensive...

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 2:28 am
my sister knew some of those people if I remember correctly ...

anyway in case you are unaware, tragedy happens all the time - everywhere - one cannot stay in their houses afraid to live ...

OP is going on this trip - let her go in comfort and hope and FUN ...

su7kids

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 2:55 am
Just for the record, I didn't bring it up to scare anyone. To me, the sacrifice of those few people to save hundreds of others was an amazing incident of Hashgocha Protis.

Of course, each person is precious and it was devastating that they were lost, but look how many they saved!!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 3:48 pm
OP, go and have fun. Bring us good news. We can't make the chesbon of why the tragedies happened.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 2:57 pm
their is another posting about the helicopter accident.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics