Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
School witholding midterms

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 9:28 pm
Is it legal for a yeshiva to hold back midterms as a punishment to parents who owe tuition?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 9:37 pm
Probably, but it's mean. I remember being in 10 th grade ( over 20 yrs ago) and we had just started our midterms. The proctor walked over to three girls , took their midterms out of their hands told them to leave and marked the papers with a F. All because their parents didn't pay tuition. My heart aches for those girls . The embarrassment and humiliation that was caused to them because of $. Can't believe they are still pulling this shtick nowadays. It's disgusting!

Shoshana37

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 10:21 pm
Yes unfortunately the schools do that and have been doing that for years.

Purple2

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 10:31 pm
Bizzydizzy, that is probably the sickest thing I’ve ever heard. There’s a nice spot in hell for the people who run that school.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 10:39 pm
Yes, legally the school can go as far as not letting you into school if you don't pay. Not saying it's nice , just the school's r desperate.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 1:38 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Probably, but it's mean. I remember being in 10 th grade ( over 20 yrs ago) and we had just started our midterms. The proctor walked over to three girls , took their midterms out of their hands told them to leave and marked the papers with a F. All because their parents didn't pay tuition. My heart aches for those girls . The embarrassment and humiliation that was caused to them because of $. Can't believe they are still pulling this shtick nowadays. It's disgusting!

Well no wonder there is an otd crisis. Just reading about this would be enough to put a lot of people off.

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 7:40 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Yes, legally the school can go as far as not letting you into school if you don't pay. Not saying it's nice , just the school's r desperate.

I think the schools can't block students from going to school that academic year if they don't pay. I think they have very few options when parents don't pay. They must still educate the students.

It is a problem because teachers need to get paid. One school here the teachers withheld everyone's report cards because they weren't paid for months.

I don't think embarrassing the students is the answer. But I don't have another. Some parents will still live their luxury lifestyles while not paying their tuitions. One school didn't pay the teachers for a whole year, but the students body was able to go away to Florida while teachers had no money for gas and insurance to get to school. The following year they were all able to go to expensive seminaries.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 7:54 am
I never heard of this! It's cruel to punish & humiliate kids because the parents didn't pay. It's not the kids fault.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children