Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Teaching a child to care
Previous  1  2

unexpected

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 9:33 pm
I agree with everything Valley Mom says. When my daughter comes home with math hw I have her do 3 examples correctly (I.e. If she gets two wrong then I'll show her how to do it and have her do three more) and then write a note on the page that I did it with her and she knows it and it's enough.
As far as 30 examples in class that is time where the girls can actually be learning things. Don't believe the teacher if she tells you that all the other girls are doing it and only your daughter is being disruptive. Chances are your daughter is doing whatever everyone else is and the teacher is throwing it on you because you are a caring parent.

keym

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 10:33 pm
I dont ask my teachers to modify the work- I tell them. I insist my kids spend their age per kodesh and per chol until 5th grade. Then I reanalyze.
So a 1st grader needs 6 minutes on the timer of focused math. As much as theydo Iin 6 minutes and we are done. But I sit with the kid and help focus.
I make a thermometer type chart. Every day the child does 6 min, we color 6 more boxes or whatever. Finish the chart theres a treat.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 10:44 pm
My school's policy (or at least it used to be, I have no idea if it is still the case) is the grade*10 total. So a first grader should only have 10 minutes total, a 5th grader 50 minutes total (25/department) but my experience is that it's way, way less than that.

My first grader rarely has math, maybe one small worksheet a week. It's usually spelling exercises. For kodesh, it's kriah, maybe ksiva, and soon some Chumash. 25 math problems very rarely we have in 4th grade, when they're working on speed. But definitely not first. And that's the way it should be.

tf

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 11:00 pm
I'm with all the responders that the amount is way out of proportion, and want to add another point I think is overlooked too often. Prizes and promises rarely have a lasting effect. What is lasting is positive regard along with tlc, structure and firmness.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 11:27 pm
Thank you everyone for your input and ideas! Hopefully over shabbos I can come up with a plan based on all your ideas.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 6:09 am
Bribes? Punishment? Peer pressure?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics