Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Apple crisp

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 7:56 pm
My Apple crisp always gets very wet and it’s so unappetizing. Does anyone have a good recipe for apple crisp where the apples get soft and the topping crispy but the inside not too watery?
Thanks so much!

yogabird

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 8:20 pm
What type of apples are you using? What temp are you baking at? What's in your crumbs? Is it soggy when you remove it from the oven or does it get soggy later on?

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 8:45 pm
yogabird wrote:
What type of apples are you using? What temp are you baking at? What's in your crumbs? Is it soggy when you remove it from the oven or does it get soggy later on?

I use gala and Granny Smith apples. It’s good as soon as t comes out of the oven. It’s when we cut into it on shabbos day that it’s kind of soupy.

yogabird

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 8:56 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
I use gala and Granny Smith apples. It’s good as soon as t comes out of the oven. It’s when we cut into it on shabbos day that it’s kind of soupy.

do you cover and refrigerate? I had that happen with some recipes -- the crumbs turned gluey. Is that what's happening? Or it's the apples that are becoming too watery?

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 9:04 pm
yogabird wrote:
do you cover and refrigerate? I had that happen with some recipes -- the crumbs turned gluey. Is that what's happening? Or it's the apples that are becoming too watery?

I cover all t after it’s cooled for a while on the counter. It’s the apples that get too watery. I think.

momof2+?

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 9:15 pm
My one rule of apple crisp, (and I'm the apple crisp professional in my family,) is never to cover it when it is even slightly warm. If I want to go to bed then I cover it, but leave one corner open. I've used macintosh, Gala, and cortland apples (over the years) and never had watery apple crisp. Do you have a crust on the bottom of your dish?
ETA: how long are you baking it for?

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:14 am
momof2+? wrote:
My one rule of apple crisp, (and I'm the apple crisp professional in my family,) is never to cover it when it is even slightly warm. If I want to go to bed then I cover it, but leave one corner open. I've used macintosh, Gala, and cortland apples (over the years) and never had watery apple crisp. Do you have a crust on the bottom of your dish?
ETA: how long are you baking it for?

I don’t have a crust on the bottom. Apples mixed with some sugar and cinnamon. Crumble on top. Drizzle crumble with oil. I bake it a long time. Can you share your recipe?

momof2+?

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:47 am
My crumble consists of flour, sugar, margarine and/or oil, (depends on my mood) and cinnamon. ( sometimes add some vanilla sugar. I sprinkle some crust on bottom of the pan. I use practically any green and red apple, (Macintosh, gala, cortland) . I used to slice thin, but recently started dicing instead. Sprinkle apples with sugar and cinnamon and put in pan. Sometimes drizzle with orange juice before adding rest of the crumbs on top. Bake until crust browns. I usually put a knife through it to make sure apples are soft. I’m guessing 350 degrees for an hour and a half? Don’t usually Time it. Good luck! Let me know if you need measurements.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:48 am
I use green apples and mine don’t get wet but it yours are getting too wet add a little tapioca to the mixture with some lemon juice before baking and it will help thicken it up

etky

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 1:15 am
tichellady wrote:
I use green apples and mine don’t get wet but it yours are getting too wet add a little tapioca to the mixture with some lemon juice before baking and it will help thicken it up

You can thicken the apple mixture with cornstarch too or even bit of flour.
What I do though is I microwave the sliced apples (I use a mix of tart Granny Smiths and softer, milder Golden Delicious) until they are somewhat softened. Then I drain some (but not all) of the liquid before placing in the baking dish, under the crumbs. This also significantly reduces the baking time.
I would also reiterate what momof2+ said about not covering even while slightly warm. I do the exact same thing - if I have to put the crumble in the fridge before I go to sleep I keep a corner uncovered. Same goes for anything with a crispy topping or crust actually. Steam and condensation are a death knell to crispness.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 1:27 am
Oh also I don’t refrigerate the crisp

livinginflatbus

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 7:26 am
Can anyone share their easy recipe pls

choco1

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 7:36 am
slice any apples thinly (about 5-6)
place in glass oven dish (pyrex). mix into apples 3 tbls brown sugar and 1- 2 tbls lemon juice.
sprinkle crumbs on top - 1 c flour, 1/2 c sugar and 1 stick marg.
after you put on crumbs, sprinkle with cinnamon

bake 350 until crumb is hard about 35 min. (liquid will be bubbling!)
Never watery....enjoy!

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 7:44 am
momof2+? wrote:
My crumble consists of flour, sugar, margarine and/or oil, (depends on my mood) and cinnamon. ( sometimes add some vanilla sugar. I sprinkle some crust on bottom of the pan. I use practically any green and red apple, (Macintosh, gala, cortland) . I used to slice thin, but recently started dicing instead. Sprinkle apples with sugar and cinnamon and put in pan. Sometimes drizzle with orange juice before adding rest of the crumbs on top. Bake until crust browns. I usually put a knife through it to make sure apples are soft. I’m guessing 350 degrees for an hour and a half? Don’t usually Time it. Good luck! Let me know if you need measurements.

Measurements would be great!

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 7:44 am
choco1 wrote:
slice any apples thinly (about 5-6)
place in glass oven dish (pyrex). mix into apples 3 tbls brown sugar and 1- 2 tbls lemon juice.
sprinkle crumbs on top - 1 c flour, 1/2 c sugar and 1 stick marg.
after you put on crumbs, sprinkle with cinnamon

bake 350 until crumb is hard about 35 min. (liquid will be bubbling!)
Never watery....enjoy!

Thank you!

ttbtbm

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 6:46 pm
I have to thank everyone for the best Apple crisp I have ever made! It was almost finished and we didn’t have so many people for Shabbos. Absolutely no liquid. It was really perfect! I used choco1’s recipe and took in everyone’s advice! Thank you!

Mevater

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 4:30 pm
Any new super delish and super easy Apple Crisp ideas, off Instagram or anywhere else?

tia

Colorpop

Post Sat, Jul 03 2021, 5:12 pm
I have a recipe that is always a hit.

6 apples cut into small pieces
put that into a glass pyrex for the oven
then put a can of cranberry jelly on top (the kind that doesn't have any pieces - completely jelly)
On top of that put the crumbs - 1.5 C flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2/3 C sugar, 1 egg, 5 Tbs oil, 1/2 tsp vanilla.
Then sprinkle some cimamon on top of the crumbs.
Bake on 350 for 45 mins to an hour, till crumbs get a golden color

Mevater

Post Sat, Jul 03 2021, 11:35 pm
Any recipes with no cranberry sauce (for me the cranberry sauce is way too sweet)?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes