Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Did you raise your cleaning lady?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 3:45 pm
Due to the minimum wage increases?

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 3:51 pm
No.
First, I’m not aware of a minimum wage increase.
Second, mine already earns well above minimum wage.
Third, (doesn’t apply to me, but...) minimum wage requirements don’t apply to people working off the books and not reporting income thus most people employing domestic help are not obligated.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 3:53 pm
That's why I am asking. I totally agree but the ladies and agencies are asking for minimum wage but don't agree to get paid on the books.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:
No.
First, I’m not aware of a minimum wage increase.
Second, mine already earns well above minimum wage.
Third, (doesn’t apply to me, but...) minimum wage requirements don’t apply to people working off the books and not reporting income thus most people employing domestic help are not obligated.

Of course they do. They apply to all employees, 18 and older

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jan 12 2018, 5:27 pm
If they are working off the books, then they don’t need to get minimum wage. That is the choice they made. They made that choice to not reporting their income as their take home pay will be higher than if they reported everything and paid taxes, SS etc.

smile12345

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 1:52 pm
No. She grew up with her parents.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 6:36 pm
smile12345 wrote:

Okay, so how can I change the title to Did you give your cleaning lady a raise?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 6:44 pm
https://labor.ny.gov/legal/law.....s.pdf

Paid cash or not - domestic workers should get at least min wage.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 6:53 pm
Sorry for my naivete embarrassed How much is the minimum wage today?

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 7:02 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry for my naivete embarrassed How much is the minimum wage today?

In NY if a place of work has 10 or less employees, minimum wage is now $12. By the end of the year Dec 31, 2018, minimum wage for small employer of 10 or less employees will be up to $13.50.
It's more for larger businesses.

Moonlight

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 8:05 pm
smile12345 wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say

Boca00

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 8:09 pm
Yes, just gave her a raise this week to $12.

WhatFor

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
If they are working off the books, then they don’t need to get minimum wage. That is the choice they made. They made that choice to not reporting their income as their take home pay will be higher than if they reported everything and paid taxes, SS etc.

How could this be true? An employer is bound by the labor laws regardless of how an employee chooses to file their taxes (which they could theoretically be declaring even if you pay them in cash, but that's irrelevant.) I'm pretty sure that if they wanted to take you to court for backpay, they'd easily win and you could suffer the penalties of not paying an employee minimum wage as well.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 11:48 pm
WhatFor wrote:
How could this be true? An employer is bound by the labor laws regardless of how an employee chooses to file their taxes (which they could theoretically be declaring even if you pay them in cash, but that's irrelevant.) I'm pretty sure that if they wanted to take you to court for backpay, they'd easily win and you could suffer the penalties of not paying an employee minimum wage as well.

And how will they prove how much you paid them if they are paid in cash?

petiteruchy

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:

Oh yeah, your cleaning lady pulling in her amazing wages of less than $12 an hour is just rolling in choices. I mean, she chose to be a cleaning lady instead of a lawyer or an accountant or a teacher, she should be grateful she gets the honor of scrubbing your toilets off the books. Rolling Eyes

WhatFor

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
And how will they prove how much you paid them if they are paid in cash?

Let's say it's your word against theirs. If it comes to that, do you plan to lie under oath to defend illegally paying someone less than minimum wage? Why even set yourself up for that? Why not just follow the law?

ETA- isn't it that the employer is paying her off the books? If an employer failed in whatever labor obligations they have and therefore can't prove how much they paid, I would guess the judgment would default in favor of the employee.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 12:00 am
WhatFor wrote:
Let's say it's your word against theirs. If it comes to that, do you plan to lie under oath to defend illegally paying someone less than minimum wage? Why even set yourself up for that? Why not just follow the law?

Definitely wouldn't lie under oath. I read that minimum wage in NYC will go up to 13.50 by the end of the calendar year.

Only minimum wages go up. Everyone else gets paid the same. Therefore, paying a worker more
Money per hour is difficult for most people.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 12:33 am
amother wrote:
Definitely wouldn't lie under oath. I read that minimum wage in NYC will go up to 13.50 by the end of the calendar year.

Only minimum wages go up. Everyone else gets paid the same. Therefore, paying a worker more
Money per hour is difficult for most people.

Oh okay. I was initially responding to the amother who said that ppl getting paid off the books don't have to be paid minimum wage.

If you're already paying minimum wage then there's no legal issue. I don't really have input on whether or not you should give them a raise otherwise.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 12:42 am
I was paying less than current minimum wage until Jan. 1. I then lost my cleaning lady. I tried someone else who was not too great and would like to get paid the new minimum wage.
I'm wondering if most people are paying at least minimum wage or not.
I'm hesitant fir someone who is not a very good cleaner.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 1:25 am
Does this new minimum wage requirement apply only for NYC or for the entire NY?
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics