Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Your child struggled through school...How are they now?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 8:59 pm
I am wondering how your child turned out. My young child ( Kindergarten) is struggling and we are trying to put in the proper services for him. I just can't stop wondering how this will all affect him long term. What if we hold him back? What if we never understand why he struggles with reading? What if we don't get the right services? What if we put him in public school? I worry about his future. Tell me your stories, the good and the bad.

simba

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:05 pm
I was held back in kindergarten. Was emotionally immature and had poor fine motor skills. I think I caught up by now!

What are your child's specific challenges? He is very young now, I would suggest you focus on getting help and don't stress about the future, that will come with its own set of stressors. Really, you have to have a level of faith.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:25 pm
I was that child. Struggled through school. I'm successful mother, wife, and have a six digit successful job bh.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 11:06 pm
simba wrote:
I was held back in kindergarten. Was emotionally immature and had poor fine motor skills. I think I caught up by now!

What are your child's specific challenges? He is very young now, I would suggest you focus on getting help and don't stress about the future, that will come with its own set of stressors. Really, you have to have a level of faith.

Did the kids realize you were older?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
I was that child. Struggled through school. I'm successful mother, wife, and have a six digit successful job bh.

How did your parents help you? Did you feel bad about yourself? How far behind were you?

simba

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
Did the kids realize you were older?

Which kids? I was always the oldest in the class and felt so big! It was only by two months until the rest of the grade started catching up. I don't remember it ever being an issue for me.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 11:29 pm
Your DS is struggling in what way? I was born 3 months premature. I didn't really know this but apparently I was in the "low" groups in reading and math until middle of second grade. I was never cognizant of the fact that I might have been a little delayed. Something started to click in second grade though. This was at a time when there weren't really services to help out and I know I didn't have any evaluations from occupational or speech therapists. By middle and high school I was in the advanced classes. I'm a physician now.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 11:32 pm
By the way, what do you mean he struggles with reading in Kindergarten? Schools expect kids to have so many skills these days before they are ready.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 12:27 am
My child is struggling with reading and she is nine
The way I deal with it is tell myself that BH this is what I am dealing with.
I Also speak to other mothers whose children are grown and have been in my situation or at least in a similar situations and that is helpful. Mostly just keep looking to find the right tools as that is what I am doing and one day
IYH something will finally click I hope
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children