Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Please help, still fever with strep

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 5:15 pm
My 4 yr old has strep. On amoxil for 24 hrs. Still has 101.5. Should I be concerned? He also has a runny nose and said he has a headache. Motion helped, and he's acting and eating fine. My dr. Is closed

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 5:17 pm
I'm not a dr or nurse, but 101.5 is not that high, and it's only 24 hours on antibiotics...
If the fever gets much worse, I'd worry. Otherwise I wouldn't.
I just took amoxicillin for strep and it took almost the full 10 days for my "itchy" throat to feel better!

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 5:21 pm
Just nervous of flu chv!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 5:25 pm
amother wrote:
My 4 yr old has strep. On amoxil for 24 hrs. Still has 101.5. Should I be concerned? He also has a runny nose and said he has a headache. Motion helped, and he's acting and eating fine. My dr. Is closed

If the fever hasn't cleared up within another 24 hours you should go back to the doctor.
Or if it gets high or shoots up suddenly.
Hopefully everything should resolve quickly.

bookie

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 5:37 pm
I just had this with my son. You need to give it 48 hours.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 5:57 pm
Amoxil is not the strongest antibiotic. It can take over 24 hrs for the fever to go down.

littleprincess

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 6:22 pm
My daughter had tonsilitis and fever only dropped 3rd day of amoxicil . Give it some time . Monitor the fever . Make sure it goes down with painkillers and it doesn't suddenly shoot up very high. My dd had 103. It takes time . ..
Good luck and hope he feels better really soon

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 6:42 pm
Thanks for all the reassurances and we'll wishes! Amen to them all!
My question is when would I be concerned about the runny nose and headache?

tweety1

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:03 pm
I would take a flu test just to be safe and rule out the flu. But oth as others said amoxil is not strong at all. Can take 48 hrs to see a diff

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:06 pm
Fever can cause headache. I'd give some Tylenol to make her more comfortable and check back in tomorrow, as others are saying 24 hours is not that much.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:28 pm
What would symptoms of the flu be?

srbmom

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:59 pm
A symptom of the flu that is not usually present with strep is a bad cough. Runny nose could be either.
(although there are exceptions)

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 11:43 pm
Only way to really know if it's flu is with a swab. Because it can look the same as any other virus - fever, aches/pains, feeling crummy.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 11:54 pm
seeker wrote:
Only way to really know if it's flu is with a swab. Because it can look the same as any other virus - fever, aches/pains, feeling crummy.

Thanks! Does the flu have to be treated? What happens if left untreated?

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 11:28 am
srbmom wrote:
A symptom of the flu that is not usually present with strep is a bad cough. Runny nose could be either.
(although there are exceptions)

There are exceptions. Cuz 5 kids plus myself had the flu this year and only 2 of us had coughing. Also, my pediatrician told me that flu and strept together this year is very popular. An almost guaranteed symptom of flu is a running nose. If she doesn't has a runny / stuffy nose it's probably not flu. Flu is treated only if caught within 24 hrs of first symptom. Otherwise meds is not effective
Edited for typo

Moonlight

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
Thanks! Does the flu have to be treated? What happens if left untreated?

You can give Tamiflu if treated within first 24 hours. Otherwise, wait it out. Nothing else to do.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 12:53 pm
Flu does not need to have a runny nose. It's common but not certain.

My doc said Tamiflu can be started within 48 hours (I also had heard 24 previously but that was years ago, B"H no flu experiences since then) but it's only worth it if you're in a high risk category, such as very young, very old, or with certain preexisting health issues. Because it can have its own side effects, and it doesn't really do much either, at best reduces it by a couple of days.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics