Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Seminary tips

imato5

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 9:49 am
so my daughter, bh got accepted to seminary. this will be my first daughter going. So any tips about what to bring, neccesities? anything veteran mothers can tell me? I woild like to start to do some shopping now.
thanks

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:22 am
Some tips:
*buy a pillow and blanket from E'Y, many girls buy from girls who went to that sem the yr before
*shampoo and conditioner should be bought there
*boots/coats should be worn in the airport (since they weigh so much!) leave room in hand luggage so that she can put them in before she gets on the plane (have a pair of shoes in the hand luggage)
*don't forget things like bins and hangers (or buy in E'Y)
*Send 2 sets of linen, this way when she goes away for shabbos she doesn't have to take off her linen and then put it back on
*Your daughter is going to need many pairs of shoes! shoes get really worn there. few pairs of shabbos shoes, weekday shoes, sneakers, and also crocs/flipflops for the showers and rain boots
*Don't forget about things like toothpaste, toothbrush, personal hygiene products, deodorant etc. remember that she needs enough of each to last a whole year!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:48 am
Pack half as much clothing and twice as much money as you think you should.

Israel is a civilized country, and stores in neighborhoods with American seminaries are likely to carry many American products. Shampoo and conditioner are heavy and can spill in your luggage. Better to buy that here.

Do bring small nonprescription medications (including sunscreen) and good underwear. The price difference is significant.

Your daughter will wear 20 percent of her clothes 80 percent of the time.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:22 am
amother wrote:
Some tips:
*buy a pillow and blanket from E'Y, many girls buy from girls who went to that sem the yr before
*shampoo and conditioner should be bought there
*boots/coats should be worn in the airport (since they weigh so much!) leave room in hand luggage so that she can put them in before she gets on the plane (have a pair of shoes in the hand luggage)
*don't forget things like bins and hangers (or buy in E'Y)
*Send 2 sets of linen, this way when she goes away for shabbos she doesn't have to take off her linen and then put it back on
*Your daughter is going to need many pairs of shoes! shoes get really worn there. few pairs of shabbos shoes, weekday shoes, sneakers, and also crocs/flipflops for the showers and rain boots
*Don't forget about things like toothpaste, toothbrush, personal hygiene products, deodorant etc. remember that she needs enough of each to last a whole year!

She doesn’t need personal hygiene items for a year. She needs them until she can figure out how to get to the store. We also put a few washer pods in a plastic bag inside shoes, for the same reason. The exception is cosmetics. If she uses particular products, have her bring plenty.

There are services that will deliver linens, towels and pillows to her dorm. They’re overpriced. Use them anyway unless you have a close friend or relative willing to get them for her. Its worth it for the extra luggage space.

No hangers, bins, etc. chances are they have what she needs, or she’ll buy there. Again, luggage space is valuable.

Use compression bags for bulky things like coats.

If she uses the group flight — and even though it’s a little more, she should — she will get two bags. She’ll need them. Buy or borrow a luggage scale.

Don’t forget casual clothing. If she lounges around your house in sweats, she’ll wear them in the dorms as well.

Don’t go crazy with heels. Sneakers and walking shoes are a better bet.

Congrats.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:49 pm
I had a relative lend her blankets and pillows but I did pack a cozy little throw with her name on it. When the cousin didn't get to her for a few days, she was able to make a reasonably comfy bed with that and her sheets. Also, I packed a jar of Costco peanut butter and a couple of bagels so.she would have something healthy to eat immediately without shopping. She said that her dira all shared the PB for the first few days. Similarly, I agree with those who say not to pack a years worth of shampoo, conditioner, etc., but small bottles that will last for a few showers are a good idea. The girls have a lot to do the first few days and a trip to SuperPharm may not fit in to the schedule.

Also, she took a toweling robe with hood to wear after showers, instead of a bath towel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children