Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
ISO Israeli couscous + vegetables (Moroccan?)

queenert

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 2:51 am
At Israeli events/restaurants, they often serve this soupy vegetable mix that you spoon over couscous.
Anyone have an authentic recipe?
Thanks!

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 3:46 am
I make it a lot, really simple and easy, just stew together onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, potato, cabbage, pumpkin, chickpeas, in a chicken broth (actually usually made parve in Israel, often with just parve Osem chicken soup powder), seasoning is pretty basic: salt, pepper, turmeric, soup powder if using. The idea is to cook it a good long while so the majority of the flavor comes from the vegetables themselves.

mom2six

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 8:40 am
I agree with Teomima, but I would add pumpkin to it if you want it to be similar to what the restaurants serve. Sweet potato is optional.

queenert

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 9:12 am
Thanks so much!

Dina2018

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 4:58 pm
Teomima wrote:
I make it a lot, really simple and easy, just stew together onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, potato, cabbage, pumpkin, chickpeas, in a chicken broth (actually usually made parve in Israel, often with just parve Osem chicken soup powder), seasoning is pretty basic: salt, pepper, turmeric, soup powder if using. The idea is to cook it a good long while so the majority of the flavor comes from the vegetables themselves.

Would it work in a crock pot? thanks

Teomima

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 5:09 pm
Dina2018 wrote:

I haven't tried but I don't see why not.

corolla

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 5:18 pm
Sounds like it would be fantastic in an Instant Pot.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 6:27 pm
Dina2018 wrote:

It should. Once it finishes cooking, add Mediterranean couscous, cover and turn off the crockpot. Leave until couscous absorbs the liquid and is soft.

Teomima

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It should. Once it finishes cooking, add Mediterranean couscous, cover and turn off the crockpot. Leave until couscous absorbs the liquid and is soft.

I'd keep the couscous separate, then ladle on the veggie "soup" as its being served.
But good point about the kind of couscous. This dish is not served with what the rest of the world for some reason calls "Israeli couscous", which we in Israel call ptitim (the little round balls of pasta). This is served with actual couscous, the tiny grains of pasta that are cooked simply by absorbing boiling water without being actually boiled themselves.

Dina2018

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:01 am
Teomima wrote:
I haven't tried but I don't see why not.

thank you

etky

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:04 am
Teomima wrote:
I'd keep the couscous separate, then ladle on the veggie "soup" as its being served.
But good point about the kind of couscous. This dish is not served with what the rest of the world for some reason calls "Israeli couscous", which we in Israel call ptitim (the little round balls of pasta). This is served with actual couscous, the tiny grains of pasta that are cooked simply by absorbing boiling water without being actually boiled themselves.

So the reason is - if you look at the bag (Osem) you'll see it says קוסקוס under the main label פתיתים אפויים . During the days of the tzena (the fifties) there was a shortage of real couscous or rice or lentils so the ptitim (they did have pasta...) were manufactured to resemble them, in various shapes. The round balls were meant to mimic couscous. The rice shaped orzo was nicknamed "orez Ben Gurion".

Teomima

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:36 am
etky wrote:
So the reason is - if you look at the bag (Osem) you'll see it says קוסקוס under the main label פתיתים אפויים . During the days of the tzena (the fifties) there was a shortage of real couscous or rice or lentils so the ptitim (they did have pasta...) were manufactured to resemble them, in various shapes. The round balls were meant to mimic couscous. The rice shaped orzo was nicknamed "orez Ben Gurion".

Interesting, thanks!
Also, this thread has totally inspired my Shabbat menu. Yay!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics