Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Smurf and donut costume: help me make dreams come true!

DVOM

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 7:29 am
Good morning everyone!

So, last night me and my boys had the inevitable "what do you want to dress up as" for Purim conversation. Somehow on purim, more than any other time of the year, I try to give my guys the feeling that they can be anything. Reality is though that we are on a very tight budget. So far, year after year, its worked out (even last year, when one little guy wanted to be an oven Cool )

One kid wants to be a solider. Check, we can do that. Sister's kid was a solider last year! Quick phone call, costume is reserved. Another wants to be a penguin. Great, we have that one. I started to breathe a little easier...

But then one little man decided the best, most awesome costume in the hole wide world would be... a smurf. You may not know what a smurf is. They are little blue midgets. Clearly, they are also really amazing.

The next little guy wants to be... a donut. With blue frosting. Yum!

We googled these last two costumes. Oy. The smurf outfit is a small fortune. Same with the donut. We earnestly discussed if we could make our own donut costume by painting a small pool tube to resemble a blue frosted donut. "But then it won't be soft and squishy, like a real donut," kid replied. That one is still under negotiation.

So, I got to thinking. Maybe some of you have super cool kids who wanted to be smurfs and donuts in past years. Maybe those smurf and donut costumes are just sitting around now with no one to wear them (so sad!). Maybe you'd be willing to let us borrow them for Purim, and make some dreams come true in the process! To sweeten the deal, I'll throw in, for free, a picture of my kids on Purim all dressed up (truly priceless!).

Then I thought, maybe I could make someone else's kid feel like the coolest thing since sliced bread on Purim too. We took inventory, and here are some costumes we could lend: A wolf knight, a gorilla (super cool furry costume!), a doctor, an absolutely gorgeous velvet homemade king's cape (made by yours truly out of an old dress, but the kid does not need to know that).

All replies welcome! thanks!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 7:52 am
I made a donut last year , but it has pink frosting! Was really easy to make and inexpensive. Got the fabric and stuffing at Walmart for under 15 dollars , maybe even under 10....not 100 percent sure. Try googling do it yourself donut costumes , that's how I got the idea and instructions. Let me know if you need more info!
Anonymous because people will know who I a based on this Smile

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 7:59 am
OP I saw on the DIY smurf costumes that basically it's white pants and a white smurf hat and a blue shirt and painted blue face. I have white pants from a race car driver costume we did one year. I'm not sure what sizes I have. What size does your DS wear? Maybe I have the white pants for you.

Stars

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 9:45 am
I just wanted to pop in here and say I LOVE your positivity. Your kids are really lucky to have you as their mom.

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 9:54 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offe.....e=all

Amazon has some open box ones starting as low as $4, depending on size

DVOM

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 8:25 pm
Hi ladies!

I got distracted by the vacation vent thread, and I never got a chance to follow up on this one!

Thanks so much for the tips guys!

We are going to make the donut costume ourselves. I found an old blue shirt in my sewing box that will work for the frosting, and we'll buy light brown material for the donut itself.

We checked out the used Smurf costumes on Amazon... the price was right, but after seeing the actual costume the kid decided his dream costume would really be a stormtrooper instead. I think I have someone to borrow that one from.

I love purim!

DVOM

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 8:26 pm
Stars wrote:
I just wanted to pop in here and say I LOVE your positivity. Your kids are really lucky to have you as their mom.

Thank you, that's really sweet! I'm lucky to be their mom Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics