Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
California advice

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 8:18 am
Hi! Planning my vacation to California in 2 weeks. I'm only going for 5 days. Would love to visit what's most exciting. We enjoy water/outdoor sports. Nice hotels if u can recommend under $300.

Where should we not leave out?
Los Angeles
San Diego
Palm Springs
Palm dessert
Santa Barbra
Hollywood

I can't do it all. What would u recommend. And kosher food!!!
Thanks so much ladies!

Sweet as Pie

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 8:58 am
Catalina island!!!!!!!

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 10:28 am
Any kids, or just you and DH? Palm Springs has the warmest weather, but if you want water, the desert isn't the place to find it. If you're going to go as far north as Santa Barbara, you could spend all 5 days just doing LA (with Hollywood, Santa Monica, and Venice), Oxnard, and Santa Barbara. Personally, we much preferred the area along the coast between LA and SD, and then San Diego and La Jolla itself. I would probably do 1-1.5 days in LA, then .5 days driving to SD, and 3 days in SD.

Ellie7

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 12:03 pm
Honestly, if you only have five days, I'd stay in LA and its environs. There's tons to do (Pasadena, Santa Monica, Venice, Hollywood, Universal and Disney, Malibu, the Getty, hikes, water activities) and tons of kosher food.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 4:14 pm
Thanks all. It's actually three days because the day coming (Sunday night)and going home (Thursday noon)I don't have fully. What's in Catalina island? In San Diego what is there to do? Which places are a must to visit?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 4:15 pm
No kids! I want to skip Disney stuff

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 5:42 pm
If you only have 3 real days, you only have enough time to see one place. Don't spread yourself thin and waste valuable vacation time traveling around. You could definitely spend 2 days in LA (Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice, Getty) and 1 day going up to Santa Barbara with lunch or dinner in Oxnard (best kosher restaurant in the US).

Otherwise, you can spend your 3 days in San Diego, which has gorgeous scenery in Torrey Pines and La Jolla, speedboat adventures, Sea World, and more. Most people here will advise you to choose LA, which has a lot more high-end kosher options. Personally, we much preferred San Diego.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 9:27 pm
Catalina island closes very early in the winter. I arrived 3.30 and looked like a dead place. I couldn't rent a bike or a boat for no money. If you can get there earlier than it is beautiful.

Had a great time in universal studios. Wouldnt say its a must.

I did ATV in a trail in their mountains. Was breathtaking and so much fun!!

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:20 pm
Without kids, I would stick to la, maybe add in Santa Barbara and Oxnard if you want to eat at the winery. San Diego is fun for kids, or if you like the zoo/wild-park. Sea world is super commercialized and worth skipping imo. Spent time in the palisades and Malibu, both beautiful areas.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:24 pm
Cool LA things: the broad museum, both getty museums, so many hikes!, the beach, see a concert at the Walt Disney concert hall, walk around silver lake, walk around the grove, annneberg space for photography, bar at the culver hotel or the biltmore hotel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics