Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How many days of school/days off do your children have?

lfab

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 8:53 am
In light of a few recent threads, and mounting frustration on my part, I got curious and counted the number of days off my children have this year. I also counted how many days of school they actually do have. Trying to figure out if my children's school is excessive or within the norm for other frum schools. This school year there are 39 missed school days (includes all missed days of school including yomim tovim, legal holidays, winter vacation, etc.). They have only 165 scheduled days of school for this school year (if you account for the 2 missed snow days so far they will only have 163 days of school). This just seems to me like so few days of school and an excessive number of days off. This is in a girl's school in New York. Please post how many days of school you children have and/or the number of missed days. Also specify if this is a boy's school or a girl's school and general location. If for boys please state how many of the missed days are Sundays (since most parents have off then and wouldn't need to worry about childcare). Thanks.

octopus

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 8:57 am
If you would like a comparison there are 180 days in a public school calendar.

lfab

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:02 am
octopus wrote:
If you would like a comparison there are 180 days in a public school calendar.

I know. But I'm trying to compare to other frum schools since there are so many days off for Yomim Tovim, which public schools don't have. I'm trying to see if other schools "make up" for it by not giving off legal holidays, less winter break, etc. Or do most frum schools just not have anywhere near 180 school days?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:57 am
218 days of study here in Israeli public schools. But they are shorter days, till one thirty or two.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 7:42 pm
New York seems to require the "equivalent" of 180 instruction days, so longer school days in Jewish schools could mean fewer days in the long run.

My state is instructional hours, not days, so our calendar obviously makes more sense how it fulfills legal requirements once you look at it that way.

Shoshana37

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 8:09 pm
Yep totally agree our kids are in school longer hours and my kids personally have only 3 days off for winter break and yes school on all legal holidays. If anything I think teachers and students deserve more days off. I’m from Brooklyn, NY
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children