Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Israel trip with disabled person?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 4:01 pm
So my father has been very down since my mother's death. He wants to go to Israel for the hakamas matzeivah, but he's wheelchair bound (mostly. He can take a few short steps w the aid of a walker). Is it realistic for me to offer to take him? I know the terrain isn't terribly disabilities- friendly, but I'm wondering if there's a way to make it work. Someone mentioned that I can probably get a wheelchair from had Sarah. Anyone else w useful ideas? I would love to find a ground floor apartment for rent in Geulah or the Sorotzkin area, any advice fr anyone who has done something similar?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 10:49 pm
Bump....

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 11:01 pm
It's a beautiful idea and it's definitely doable. I don't have any experience to share, but if you take cabs everywhere and research in advance the accessibility of each place you go it can be done. If you can afford to hire a driver for the time you are here it will make it even easier than picking up a different and random cab each time.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 11:04 pm
This sounds like such a nice thing to do for your father.

You can borrow a wheelchair here, but why not just fly with your own? You'll get better care at the airport and be ushered through customs quickly if you come with a wheelchair. Otherwise the airport experience can be exhausting.

The OU runs a summer program for kids with disabilities and they do all kinds of touring. It takes a certain amount of advance planning, but if you call venues ahead you can find out what works. You can get to the kotel by taking a cab or bus, but most of the Old City is off limits.

Museums are generally accessible, stores are a mixed bag. Malls are better than neighborhood shops. Taxi drivers are willing to fold a wheelchair and put it in the trunk of for you. Busses are doable but harder. The light rail is pretty much impossible.

If you want to walk around town, remember that Jerusalem is hilly and streets can be bumpy. This is a tough city for pushing a wheelchair.

If you want to get out of town, or even do intense touring in town, I'd recommend hiring a tour guide. They know what's accessible and can save you a lot of frustration.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 11:12 pm
Maybe you can talk to coordinators of group trips for people with disabilities to get ideas of what is accessible and how to handle things that are less accessible. In addition to OU mentioned above, Chai Lifeline also takes an amazing Israel trip every year. I'm sure the people involved would be happy to share what they've learned.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:06 am
I wonder if there's a directory for rental apartments thats searchable for a ground floor apartment. I think that's the biggest issue.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:11 am
I wonder if there's a directory for rental apartments thats searchable for a ground floor apartment. I think that's the biggest issue.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 2:41 pm
seeker wrote:
Maybe you can talk to coordinators of group trips for people with disabilities to get ideas of what is accessible and how to handle things that are less accessible. In addition to OU mentioned above, Chai Lifeline also takes an amazing Israel trip every year. I'm sure the people involved would be happy to share what they've learned.

do you have any ideas of how I can reach those people?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 3:03 pm
If you can afford a private tour guide who has experience with elderly and disabled people, that's the way to go. If not, I'd see how much one would charge you to help you create a wheelchair-accessible itinerary.

Also, AirBnB has a filter for wheelchair accessible places.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:59 pm
Yad Sarah has a new initiative for this: https://www.israelnationalnews.....40337

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 1:51 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Also, AirBnB has a filter for wheelchair accessible places.

This.

Also, perhaps these resources can be of help:
http://www.israelinsideout.com......html
http://www.israel4all.com/
https://www.touristisrael.com/.....2347/
https://www.curbfreewithcoryle.....rael/

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 2:52 am
Also major hotels offer accessible rooms - if that's in your budget check that out.
Airports will give you accessible service even if you don't fly with your own wheelchair - but you have to ask for the service in advance and there may be a fee (I don't know about the fee).
When you say Israel, I understand that you mean Jerusalem, because remember there are other cities in Israel with a flatter terrain, maybe focus on the Tel Aviv area more than Jerusalem. Many tourist attractions are wheelchair accessible, and realistically if your father is not in perfect health you will probably not do that much touring - so maybe choose a few things you want to do and play the rest by ear. Things like museums are almost universally wheelchair accessible, touristy restaurants should be too. There are even a few nature trails you can do in a wheelchair (but I don't if that's much fun). Even the kotel is wheelchair accessible today.
Ironically, the only place that will probably be difficult for your father to visit will be the cemetery.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions