Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What type of salary can I make part time, with a BA, etc?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:33 pm
ok so some of this may be coming from more of an emotional part of my brain than the logical part, but it's still something I'd like to think through so that I know my options and can feel that I'm making the right choice.
I've been feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, unappreciated, and not fully respected at my current job and now I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense and am hoping someone can help me here.
At my current job I work part time, have a fairly flexible schedule, I work close to home, and the job itself is a wonderful opportunity for me as a beginner in the field - there aren't as many part time jobs in the field, plus its a field that highly values experience (as equivalent to education many times, sometimes even more) and it's a wonderful opportunity for me to learn more and gain experience and it looks great on my resume. I also get to work for a Jewish company, which is a big plus for me, in an office that doesn't really care what you wear or if you're super formal etc (though obviously you're expected to be professional).
However, on the down side, I don't get any benefits, no vacation days, sick days, insurance, etc., the general office moral is pretty low, they don't really do raises (not even a yearly 3%), I don't really have much of a social pull (I have a few people I'm friendly and one I'd call a friend with but no one really my age or stage), it can be a stressful job, sometimes working after hours (limited to very specific cases but still there), and like I said before, I've been feeling not just overwhelmed and stressed out (which I'm not sure is good for the other parts of my life), but not really appreciated, and worse, pressured, made to feel like I'm not doing a good enough job, etc. Now, some of that is just part of the field - it can be a stressful job and many times goes unappreciated, plus I've been told by others in the field that it's common for the higher up executives to put more pressure because they don't fully understand all the ins and outs of the job and so expect more than may be possible etc.
Now, I picked this field because it's something I'm interested in and enjoy doing for the most part, plus it's got the potential to make good money (or at least better money) than other fields. However, the office environment and how stressful a job is is also important to me.
So now I'm here to ask, do I have other options? I'm currently making about $23 an hour (in the general midwest area). Are there other jobs/fields that one would only need a BA and maybe some general experience/skills, be able to work part time, and get paid similarly? I'm not really interested in going back to school right now, unless it would be classes specific to the field that I'm currently in.
While I'm going to keep my eyes open for other jobs in my field that may be a better fit for me, I was wondering if maybe there was something else that I could look into in case I can't find any. I'm not opposed to doing an easier more pleasant job for similar money for a few years while I have and raise my little kids (ok that's longer than a few years but you know what I mean). Who knows, maybe another field is really a better fit for me.
(as an aside I've been told I'm a natural teacher and really enjoyed working in the classroom for a few years (though not as a lead teacher) however I'm not ready to put in the amount of time and effort after hours when I'm supposed to be with my family especially for the amount paid but maybe there's something else related that I can do?)
Thank you for any input and help

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 7:01 pm
With a BSN ( bachelors in Science and nursing) you can work contingent and make 45 dollars an hour. but no benefits.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 10:31 pm
Teach half day in a school (-preferably where you need a BA not an MA- they'll pay more for you that way.)

Oops-ETA just saw that you don't want to teach because of having to take work home. I totally understand!
So my idea won't work. Next time I'll have to read the entire post before commenting!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics