Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
3 yr old still waking up every night?
Previous  1  2

Metukah

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 6:59 pm
I don't have any advice but I'd love some. My 6 year old dd still wakes up at night and she is hysterical until we open our bedroom door. We can't ignore her because she'll wake the others.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 8:32 pm
keym wrote:
About this, my kids allergist recommended switching daily claritin to 7pm instead of 7 am. It took a few days but the absent sleepy itching that wasnt letting their skin heal got so much better.
And if youre giving daily claritin, you dont have to give additional benadryl. Worth looking into.

OP here-

I have also noticed that he itches more at night. I thought it was the steam in the room that is making the air dry. I put in a humidifier which helped a little, but not much.

About the claritin, I never tried it. How much for how long do you give it? Every single day of the year?

keym

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
OP here-

I have also noticed that he itches more at night. I thought it was the steam in the room that is making the air dry. I put in a humidifier which helped a little, but not much.

About the claritin, I never tried it. How much for how long do you give it? Every single day of the year?

You need to speak to a dr. My kids all have seasonal allergies and excema so they are on daily childrens claritin. So I give it at night rather than morning. But I dont know what the criteria is for taking.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:02 pm
It's probably pinworms.
They wake up from the discomfort but don't really know what's bothering them....

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:57 pm
It's hard to give specific advice without knowing more but if it is behavioral - you would be surprised how many kids have never really gotten a clear message that once it's bedtime, you stay in bed until it's morning. Having a chart with nighttime expectations, a clock that shows when it's time to wake up in the morning and clear discussions about what everyone is supposed to do at nighttime are all helpful tools. Assuming your child is comfortable, fed, has water if he needs it, has used the bathroom, etc, it's often just a matter of consistently returning him to his bed and reminding him that it's not morning and when it's nighttime we stay in bed quietly. Also, extremely important that he knows how to fall asleep independently at bedtime. Kids who don't know how to fall asleep on their own when they go to bed, can't do it on their own during a middle of the night wakeup.
This is all obviously very general; When I work with families one-on-one, I get a ton of information so that we can come up with a tailor-made plan and adjust as needed.
OP, good luck! Sometimes we have to be detectives and figure out the problem then get creative and stay consistent with our solutions!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics