Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Eye dr for kids, Lakewood

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:13 pm
I got the name of Berkowski and a group with Drs Turtel and Pardon. Has anyone been there with their kids?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:17 pm
I've been to both with my kids and have been happy with both.

Turtel is an eye doctor. Borkowski is an optometrist.

L K

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:17 pm
If I'm not mistaken dr Borkowsky is an optometrist, while drs Turtel and Pardone are ophthalmologists.

If you need an optometrist I can recommend dr Cohen in gefen optical. I've had very good experience with him giving correct diagnoses. He is also super nice to kids and they cooperate with him beautifully.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:21 pm
L K wrote:
If I'm not mistaken dr Borkowsky is an optometrist, while drs Turtel and Pardone are ophthalmologists.

If you need an optometrist I can recommend dr Cohen in gefen optical. I've had very good experience with him giving correct diagnoses. He is also super nice to kids and they cooperate with him beautifully.

pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference ? my son failed his screening at the eye Dr so he recommended an eye exam.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:28 pm
There are different schools of thought as to whether it's better to go to an optometrist or an opthalmologist. For a prescription/eye screening many prefer an optometrist.

I've been very happy with Dr. Borkowski's practice, and also, his prices for eyeglasses are much more reasonable. I think Gefen optical is hugely overpriced, though I guess those who get their glasses costs covered by Jersey Care don't care about this. Those of us "rich" enough to be considered middle-class, not on government programs, can't afford glasses for our kids at upwards of $250 a pair....

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:40 pm
What are the schools of thought?
I am also part of the "rich" middle class, private insurance told me exam covered 100% and glasses would be 50%, whatever that even means. I definitely cannot afford that much so lets hope he doesnt need glasses lol

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 2:16 pm
google optometrist vs ophthalmologist

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 2:28 pm
optometrist checks to see of your vision. for reading. and opthamlogist checks the health of eye. for any diseases. I think this is the difference.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 2:38 pm
I use dr. pardon, she is in turtel/chang practice and she is excellent with kids. Some of my kids had glasses as young as 1, and they kind of grew up in the practice and she is very detailed, very friendly, great with kids, and really really good at what she does. Also, explains things very well in easy to understand terms and gives you time for questions, very relatable manner. Definitely recommend.

L K

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 5:17 pm
Chayalle wrote:
There are different schools of thought as to whether it's better to go to an optometrist or an opthalmologist. For a prescription/eye screening many prefer an optometrist.

I've been very happy with Dr. Borkowski's practice, and also, his prices for eyeglasses are much more reasonable. I think Gefen optical is hugely overpriced, though I guess those who get their glasses costs covered by Jersey Care don't care about this. Those of us "rich" enough to be considered middle-class, not on government programs, can't afford glasses for our kids at upwards of $250 a pair....

I take some of my kids to an ophthalmologist far away, and some (and myself too) to dr Cohen in gefen. He doesn't take my insurance but he's good. I tried someone else in the past who took our insurance but got a totally screwed up test and prescription for a kid, so I'm done with that.

I get everybody's glasses in eyewear unlimited (former imperial). They accept horizon. My insurance covers about $100-140 toward frame and lenses fully For kids. I manage to find a nice frame at that price.

My Insurance doesn't cover adult vision, and my glasses recently broke. I got a frame for $100 at imperial, and the whole thing came out under $200 including anti-glare cover.

For choosing glasses always ask for the owner, Yossi. He's phenomenal at picking right frames for kids in like 2 seconds, and helping choose the best fitting one.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 7:35 pm
Another recommendation for dr pardon, have been using her for years for kids and she’s been wonderful

esther36

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:26 pm
I've used both Dr Cohen and Dr greller from Dr borkowski office for my kids. They were both very good. I agree with chayalle- glasses at Gefen Optical are a fortune! Glasses by Dr. Borkowski are definitely more reasonable or else u can go to Optical eyeland in the evergreen plaza. His prices are the best in town and the customer service is great too. If you're an indecisive type then u should go to imperial eyewear cuz in two minutes flat yossi will find the perfect pair of glasses for u but the prices r higher than the previous tow places I mentioned. Good luck!

treetop12

Post Fri, Feb 09 2018, 7:07 am
Another recommendation for Dr Pardon. She is great with kids and adults!
I have been using her for myself and children for more than 5 years and find her to be knowledgeable and personable.
Another reason to use an ophthalmologist is because the visits are usually covered under medical insurance. Vision insurance will usually cover both.
Good luck!

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Feb 09 2018, 7:49 am
Chayalle wrote:

I don't think Jersey Care covers everything, certainly not the nice, in style glasses the kids want. I always ended up paying that much.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:05 am
Bumping this-

I’ve taken my kids to dr Pardon and I think she is really good!

I just called for an appointment and the earliest one with dr pardon is in a few months
They had an available appointment with dr. Turtel pretty soon. Has anyone used him? This child has some vision issues so we are not just going for an exam.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
Bumping this-

I’ve taken my kids to dr Pardon and I think she is really good!

I just called for an appointment and the earliest one with dr pardon is in a few months
They had an available appointment with dr. Turtel pretty soon. Has anyone used him? This child has some vision issues so we are not just going for an exam.

Dr. Turtel is great. I've seen him with my kids.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:44 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Dr. Turtel is great. I've seen him with my kids.

Thank you, chayalle!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children