Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you inform clients of surgery?

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 3:26 pm
So, I work for a big law firm in Israel. I will have gallbladder surgery this week and will be out for about a week. I have no idea what to say to clients ahead of the date. I don’t want pity, nor to make a big deal about my health. Also, not really their business. However, what else could this be... vacation? I’ll probably write something vague in the Out of Office. But what about warning clients ahead of time (to tell them that someone else will take care of the matter for them)? What should I say?

Teomima

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 3:46 pm
First of all, may it go well and may you have a full and speedy recovery.
Secondly, why say anything specific at all? "I will be out of the office and unavailable until such and such a date. Until then, my partner Shlomo Shlomowitz will be available to help you with whatever you may need."

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 3:58 pm
Thanks. I guess I am such a workaholic that I don’t want this to seem as if I’m disappearing for a “frivolous “ reason. Being super responsive is so ingrained.

MyUsername

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 4:08 pm
When I had surgery and was out for a couple of days, I just told my clients ahead of time that I was going to be out on medical leave for a week. That's it - no details or anything. Clients are generally polite enough not to ask, and telling them it was medical leave, rather than vacation, they generally leave you alone during that time (e-mails / phone calls etc. if relevant) since they know you are not up to being in contact, and usually didn't bother my superiors instead.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 3:45 am
Any client that you are in regular contact with it's nice to inform in advance that you won't be available. For other clients its enough to have an out-of-office message. "I will be out of the office [for these dates] without access to e-mails. For urgent matters contact [colleague's contact info]"

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 4:05 am
That’s exactly the plan. My question is how to inform the clients with whom I have regular contact. Should I tell them my absence is health related?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 4:10 am
If you are speaking to them by phone or in person then I would definitely mention it.

If it's a personal e-mail to someone you work regularly with I would still mention that it's health related, but if it's more of a generic formal e-mail I wouldn't.

Everything should go smoothly for you, but some people end up needing more time to recover, or need to ease back into work slowly.

heidi

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:21 am
Just say you'll be on חופשת מחלה from a certain date. Say you'll be coming back several days later than you plan to. That way if you need it you can take it, and if not everyone will be impressed by your work ethic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics