Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to make moist chicken cutlets help!!
1  2  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:47 pm
I work full time so I dont have a lot of time for cooking for shabbos. So I have simple recipes tjat are fast and taste delicious like I skin chicken thighs and put mayo on it then throw bread crumbs on and put it in oven. It is moist and tasty.

But with chicken cutlets I dont know how to make it moist. It came out very dry last time I made it. The ready made store bought breaded chicken cutlets were moist and delicious not mine

.anyone have a simple recipe to make breaded chicken cutlets?? How do I make sure they are moist and not tasting dry ?

Thanks

TCR

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
I work full time so I dont have a lot of time for cooking for shabbos. So I have simple recipes tjat are fast and taste delicious like I skin chicken thighs and put mayo on it then throw bread crumbs on and put it in oven. It is moist and tasty.

But with chicken cutlets I dont know how to make it moist. It came out very dry last time I made it. The ready made breaded chicken cutlets were moist and delicious not mine

.anyone have a simple recipe to make breaded chicken cutlets?? How do I make sure they are moist and not tasting dry ?

Thanks

Binah featured a recipe by Esti Steinmetz a couple of yrs ago(giving credit where it's due), and I won't make it any other way now.
1-mix bread crumbs with some oil and bake in pre-heated oven for abt 5 minutes

2-take out of oven and coat THIN cutlets with mayo (if I don't use flavored breadcrumbs I sometimes mix some bbq sauce with the mayo first) Instead of pounding the cutlets to get them thin, I just slice them lengthwise to get two pieces out of 1

3-coat cutlets with the toasted crumbs (u can add spices to the crumbs at this point. If u add spices before toasting they will burn)

4-bake uncovered for abt 30 minutes-check if it's soft-sometimes I bake it for closer to 40 minutes. Crispy, moist, and delicious!

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:58 pm
Use chicken bottoms for the cutlets. Always moist.

You don't even have to bread them. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam, clean the cutlets well to remove excess fat, add 1 tbspoon oil to 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 2 cubes of frozen garlic and spices of your choice .

Rub it over cutlets and spread cutlets on cookie sheet.

Bake on 350 for an hour to an hour and a half, depending how thick they are.

I serve this with pita and fresh salad. Chumus on side.

Its a family favorite

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:00 pm
Just don’t overcook. Try 10 minutes on each side and check to see if they are ready

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:03 pm
The trick to moist cutlets is to not overcook them.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:32 pm
amother wrote:

Thanks everyone for responding. But that is the problem that I dont know if im overcooking them.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:38 pm
Start timing. Use a timer.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 2:08 am
I dip.in egg and then panko crumbs. Line a cookies sheet with foil and shmear on some olive oil. Dont overfill tray...leave space bw them so they can crisp. Spray tops with canola spray and bake 15 min. Dont need to turn. These freeze fab too

groovy1224

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:20 am
I often use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. (Also sometimes called baby chicken). Almost impossible to dry out.

esther11

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:26 am
Try to make the cutlet pieces consistent sizes so they bake evenly (we pound ours flat). Cook time will change depending on size and thickness but I definitely think it’s worth investing in a meat thermometer! It’s not expensive and you will know exactly when it’s ready to come out.

My go to cooking method is to pound flat, bread/spice as desired, broil on one side for 6 min, foot and broil for 3-5 min. Cooks really fast and comes out moist.

Don’t over cook, and we don’t rewarm ours either; I leave it on the counter to reach room temp and then use it.

livinginflatbus

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:31 am
I once saw a tip in a magazine and I never looked back . Marinate your cutlets in two tbsp of cornstarch mixed with water and let it sit at least half an hour . Then shake off and put on Desired toppings . It’s so moist!

little neshamala

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 6:22 am
Op I had the same problem as you, and then I read somewhere online that you should not do the typical 350 for 45 min kind of thing, but higher temps for shorter time period. You need to experiment based on the size of your cutlets, but start off at 400 and check after about 20 min( for med thick cutlet). You can do 425, etc just experiment. But the key is high temp, quick bake. Comes out nice and moist.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 7:55 am
livinginflatbus wrote:
I once saw a tip in a magazine and I never looked back . Marinate your cutlets in two tbsp of cornstarch mixed with water and let it sit at least half an hour . Then shake off and put on Desired toppings . It’s so moist!

Interesting. It sounds like a variation of the technique called 'velveting' that Chinese cooks use to keep chicken breast moist in stir-frys.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:02 am
I always use bottoms, but I think the trick is to smear oil on the cutlets and let it marinate for a few hours so that it absorbs the oil, then coat in mayo and bread crumbs.

IMNSHO
People use white meat because it's "healthier", but then they have to add oil to make it taste moist. To me ts healthier to use the natural fats that come with the meat, same with lean steak or ground beef.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:24 am
Boneless skinless chicken thighs are the moistest, easiest to prepare kind of chicken I have found, but they are hard to find.

For chicken breasts, I have never tried this method (letting chicken cook in its own juices), but you can try it: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-.....ottom

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:25 am
Buy a thermometer

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:28 am
amother wrote:

I agree. I bake my chicken cutlets covered for about 25 to 30 minutes, and it comes out moist and delicious. I would put a little oil in the bottom of the pan as well, it comes out really soft that way. Really works and easy as pie!

Also, I like using regular chicken cutlet tops, I cut them in half to make them thinner, but my friend finds it easier to pound them thinner. Either way, I like them a bit thinner, I think it comes out better.

Last edited by Mommyg8 on Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:28 am
I save the boneless breasts for saucy recipes otherwise it gets too dry. I use boneless thighs most of the time.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:29 am
Spottedbanana if you live near a trader joes you can get empire boneless thighs for a decent price.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:45 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
Boneless skinless chicken thighs are the moistest, easiest to prepare kind of chicken I have found, but they are hard to find.

For chicken breasts, I have never tried this method (letting chicken cook in its own juices), but you can try it: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-.....ottom

Has anyone ever tried this?
I've been tempted but somehow have never gotten around to trying it this way.
Would love to know how it turns out....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen