Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Is going on a pesach program actually relaxing?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:08 pm
From what your saying, I really think you should go for it.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:10 pm
I think with kids under 6 years old and especially if you are all sleeping in the same room (is that possible? 9 people in one hotel room??) I can't imagine it would be relaxing, especially with having to eat according to the hotels schedule unless you have a babysitter along who will watch the kids at night. Just the sedarim with little kids in a hotel is really difficult in my experience.
When my in laws had little kids, they would bring their nanny with them to the pesach program, the nanny would sleep in the kids room and my in laws had their own room and could do what ever they wanted, that sounds pretty relaxing Smile if course that is a certain lifestyle where they already had a nanny for their kids etc.
However, it could still be fun and as mentioned, you don't have to cook or clean up after the meals, which in its own right is more restful and getting all fancy and dolled up is all up to you, even if there is peer pressure you don't have to give in to it!

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:11 pm
amother wrote:
The stresses for me were:
- getting kids to bed when the other kids were still up
- having to be both in the room and out of the room at the same time. Like when some kids are up and need to run around and others are still sleeping
- missing the bulk of meals, because when a young kid is done, they need to run around, and the older kids got resentful of having to leave the table, so I went. Plus, suppers when kids were already asleep.
- timing of non-buffet meals. Younger kids didn't wait so well until we were served.

Without young kids, or with older kids who didn't mind waking up early or leaving meals early to take care of the youngest, it would have been good.

I second that a house in Florida was cheaper, with catered food and flights, and had built in entertainment. But my kids don't like Disney, so there was no pressure to take them.

This is pretty good insight. I think our biggest issue will be when the 2 year old needs to go to sleep. The others are good with staying up and travel in a pack. There is babysitting available, so I guess I can fall back on that if needed but I do see his bedtime conflicting with dinner.

I'm also thinking about the non buffet meals. I guess what I'd have to do is make sure we have food from the tea room or wherever available if wait service takes a while.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:17 pm
amother wrote:

I second that a house in Florida was cheaper, with catered food and flights, and had built in entertainment. But my kids don't like Disney, so there was no pressure to take them.

Is this true? Last minute flights for a family of 9 for prime season, renting a house, fully catered Pesach plus serving ware and dishes plus cleaning help, is cheaper than a local Pesach program?

Can someone break down the costs?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:21 pm
Op you can’t stay in 1 hotel room with 9 people.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
Is this true? Last minute flights for a family of 9 for prime season, renting a house, fully catered Pesach plus serving ware and dishes plus cleaning help, is cheaper than a local Pesach program?

Can someone break down the costs?

OP here-

I just checked jet blue. The fare that allows one piece of luggage is about 7k for flights we can take. Local program for 2 rooms is about 13K.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:27 pm
**********I NEVER SAID WE WERE STAYING IN ONE ROOM!!!!!!***************

Banging head

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:29 pm
You should also check the basic Jetblue fare, even if it doesn't come with any free checked bags. Then pay $25-$35 per bag, and it may still come out cheaper. You also still have time to sign up for the Jetblue credit card, which gives you one free bag for every person in your party, even on the basic fare.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:35 pm
doctorima wrote:
You should also check the basic Jetblue fare, even if it doesn't come with any free checked bags. Then pay $25-$35 per bag, and it may still come out cheaper. You also still have time to sign up for the Jetblue credit card, which gives you one free bag for every person in your party, even on the basic fare.

Thanks! It was the same as the base fare plus bag fee, but that's a good tip in general about the card.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 6:02 pm
Ok so much better if you are not planning to stay in one room! And also if your older kids don't mind sharing the care of the younger kids in a way they won't resent...also if you can get a babysitter from the program for night meals for your 2 year old and 13k for your family of 9 sounds like a really good price especially if the program is good and has programming for your kids. I say go for it! No cooking or cleaning, no cleaning or worry or prep in the weeks before, just some packing , sounds great!

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:16 pm
You're right that 9 last minute tickets can add up; I didn't factor that in. A lot depends on how much you spend on other things. For us, even if it came out even, I prefer the house. It allows me to control what I eat and when and to spread out and let the kids roam. Though I don't love the flying.

13k is a good price for a hotel. If you go, please check on the babysitting arrangements in advance. There are a finite number of babysitters. When we went, either you had to book one for all the night meals in advance (before you get there) or you had to daven that there was one available. And for sedarim, you had to book them in advance because they brought in sitters from outside since their regular babysitters were at Seder.

Also, you can decide, but we invested in a private Seder room because otherwise we all got very distracted; we were trying to hear a kid's dvar Torah or question while the table next to us sang Chad gadiah and another sang avadim hayinu. Plus the kids can get up and wander around or even bed down by the wall as needed.

Food- Make sure to have something that can be eaten for breakfast in the rooms before you go to bed. You don't want to have nothing to feed a hungry kid who's the only one awake so you need to stay in the room. As for the meals, bringing food is good. Good programs bring the kids meals early. Just realize that this means they are often done before your food arrives at all.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
OP here-

I just checked jet blue. The fare that allows one piece of luggage is about 7k for flights we can take. Local program for 2 rooms is about 13K.

But that’s just the flights...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's relaxing if you don't have to also care for young children. It sounds like something you could enjoy in a few years time.
Kids in a new environment, off schedule, in foreign beds, in close quarters at night, keeping track of them in a large complex as they want to run around, getting them dressed for meals and changing them often when dirty; it's stressful.
In your circumstance, it sounds like it would be relaxing to take a smaller percentage of that money you'd use at a hotel and use it to:
1. Schedule a deep cleaning crew so pesach cleaning is done in one day
2. Purchase ready cooked food and cook the ones that are easier for you and you prefer homemade
3. Hire cleaning help to come on pesach itself to keep the house clean, clear up after meals, cut fresh veggies and things like that.

AND MOST IMPORTANT
4. USE ONLY DISPOSABLE (YOU CAN BUY VERY PRETTY ONES)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 10:53 pm
amother wrote:
Someone just shared with me that they overheard two people talking:
"Where did you go for pesach last year?"
"Last year, it was a mechaya! We stayed home, hired a cleaning crew and a catering company with waiters. We didn't have to shlep anywhere and we had all of our amenities that we live in house. To top it all off, we saved a ton of money!"

That may be your best option. Then, while the cleaning crew is doing their job, you go to the spa and get taken care of.

I'd love to do this. Any recommendations as to where I can locate crew and a catering company in the Monsey area?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 11:03 pm
I went to the Pesach programs a few years ago and I liked it a lot. I wasn't pressured to dress up at all, I wore what made me comfortable. They served early dinner for the little ones. You can discuss your specific needs ahead of time. I suggest you call the program manager, discuss your family's needs, and see if they can accommodate.

Some tips to make it easier:
Hire a sitter or two so your children can chill and not be burdened in taking care of the younger siblings. This can make such a big difference. If your children aren't burdened, they will be calmer, and you in turn willl have a relaxing yon tov.

If you have two children under five, I'd hire at least two sitters.

In terms of making it to the meals: you can ask your sitters to put aside food for you. Or, when you speak with management before signing up, ask about the possibility of putting aside food for you so you can eat on your own schedule. Some places will accommodate. You can request a private dining room for your family. I've seen some families do that.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 11:20 pm
Just because you can't handle a crowded room, doesn't mean OP or her kids can't. Many families are used to squishing or co-sleeping in various forms anyway.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
is it super stressful having to be dressed up, making specific meal times, etc?

Not stressful at all, based on my experience. But I'm a laid back person in general. And I have less than 7, so maybe that makes a diff.

How bad can it be? Just get enough bedrooms so you're all comfortable. And have someone put aside meals for you, or have them bring the meals to your room. And indulge in good babysitters 24/7.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 11:24 pm
amother wrote:
Not stressful at all, based on my experience. But I'm a laid back person in general. And I have less than 7, so maybe that makes a diff.

How bad can it be? Just get enough bedrooms so you're all comfortable. And have someone put aside meals for you, or have them bring the meals to your room. And indulge in good babysitters 24/7.

Why would someone Need 24/7 babysitters (in a hotel)? I ask as someone whose been going to pesach programs for 25 years

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:
**********I NEVER SAID WE WERE STAYING IN ONE ROOM!!!!!!***************

Banging head

Are you sure the hotel is ok with 6 or 7 kids in one room? There are usually occupancy limits. If they are it sounds like you want to go.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 11:37 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Why would someone Need 24/7 babysitters (in a hotel)? I ask as someone whose been going to pesach programs for 25 years

To supervise the 2 yr old so op can chill.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics