Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
"Mixed" Family Reunion ANYWHERE: Go!!!!
1  2  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 8:42 pm
Dh's family would like to organize a reunion for summer 2019. Prob about 40 people, youngest of whom is 11. As we are spread out around the world (although mostly in the US), they are open to considering ANYWHERE (ideas so far are a villa in Tuscany, Maine, Long Beach Island, or "outside Denver").

I need Imamother idea help. We are the only frum family and I'd love input for how to do this in a way that could work for US as well as the other family members. If we rent a villa in Tuscany, what is my family supposed to do--rent the villa next door and kasher the kitchen? (It's a possibility).

The only thing I can think of is a cruise, but I think that would be terrible, as we'd be eating package airplane food and everyone else will have plates full of bacon from the buffet. If we rent houses somewhere, at least they'll be out of sight while they eat treif.

My preference is Europe, as we're coming from Israel and it will be closer for us. As you can sort of see from what's written above, price is not the main issue here.

Thank you for your help!!! I hope the Imamothers can give some good ideas! Wink

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 8:44 pm
What about one of the Jewish websites to rent a home?

WhatFor

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 8:45 pm
Would they mind going to Israel? The Dead Sea would be a great place for a get-together.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 9:04 pm
Pick a destination with at least some kosher options.

New Hampshire
Switzerland

Niagra

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 9:30 pm
There are several businesses that deliver kosher food anywhere in the world. So share a villa with the family, and warm up your double-wrapped meals in the oven, and you'll be fine. If you want even more flexibility, order a cheap microwave to be delivered to the hotel.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 10:45 pm
Israel would make it easiest. Are any other family members living in Israel, or are they all in the US except for you?

[Or is the idea to go someplace that is new and exciting for everyone?]

jweiss

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 12:07 am
How about a city in Europe with kosher restaurants? Like Rome or Vienna (cities with real communities so you have a lot of choices) Lots of them have gorgeous places you can rent on the outskirts of the city, and you can get food from the kosher places while they either cook or go out 2 eat at non kosher places.

There is also always the options of a privet chef. Plenty of destinations have companies which offer great privet chefs. Perhaps look into a really upscale kosher chef. If the food is fantastic you may be able 2 have you family loving it and not missing their bacon.

Teomima

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 12:24 am
We've traveled and rented places with treif kitchens and just brought along some bare necessities: a large pan that can work as both a skillet and a pot, a knife, a cutting board, etc. It's not the easiest way but it's doable. It helps put the emphasis on the quality of the time spent with family, vs. the food. And if you do rent a villa in Europe (highly recommended!) there's so much available in local markets in the way of fresh fruits and veggies, even baked goods (you can contact the local chabad for lists of "cleared" foods).

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 7:05 am
Thank you, Ladies!

Sorry, I should have mentioned that Israel would be a total dud. Those who have wanted to come here/visit us have already done so, and it also seems way too much like imposing our "shtick" on everyone.

The amother who suggested New Hampshire: what's kosher there? We used to live in Boston and I thought that was the nearest kosher food to NH.

I like the idea of Vienna (or maybe Rome).

Keep 'em coming! The ideas are getting sent to the family Smile

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 7:08 am
What about renting homes in Orlando? You can rent a few homes next door to each other and everyone who wants can have their own kitchen and their own space. It is very hot there in the summer, but renting homes/villas is very cheap and there is a lot to do.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 7:09 am
amother wrote:
Thank you, Ladies!

Sorry, I should have mentioned that Israel would be a total dud. Those who have wanted to come here/visit us have already done so, and it also seems way too much like imposing our "shtick" on everyone.

The amother who suggested New Hampshire: what's kosher there? We used to live in Boston and I thought that was the nearest kosher food to NH.

I like the idea of Vienna (or maybe Rome).

Keep 'em coming! The ideas are getting sent to the family Smile

Arlington Hotel in NH is a fully kosher upscale hotel in NH open all -year round.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 7:27 am
I think Italy would be great. You can travel to Venice which has a kosher restaurant, Rome, etc.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:27 am
We have done several vacations with dh's extended family. None of them are at all observant some not Jewish). We have done cruises (Yes you sit at the table with your frozen meal while they eat everything -my bil had alligator one time!), but we weren't going for the food. Also some of the stops (key west, cozumel) had kosher restaurants.

We have done resorts, club med, rocking horse ranch etc. They worked really well and we sent in our food.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:03 am
I think cruises are the best for large families. So many different activities and you don’t have to get everyone together to get out each day, you just meet at the location if you want to join the activity. We did this my non frum family and it worked very well.

There are catering companies that can provide great kosher food on a cruise ( if you don’t want the airplane type meals) but it’s expensive. If you are ok with fresh vegetables and fruit, double baked salmon and potatoes etc, you can have more variety. They often have Kosher ice cream/frozen yogurt, bagels, cereal, yogurt, etc ( you can ask to see the package). You might be able to bring some food along as well.

Italy could also work well, but harder to get a large group moving when needing to rely on public transportation etc. I believe there is a Kosher hotel in the Italian alps which is not far from other non kosher hotels ( if you wanted to be in the alps)

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 9:50 am
off topic but why do people write GO!! after asking something? Makes me nervous. Wink

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:
Arlington Hotel in NH is a fully kosher upscale hotel in NH open all -year round.

OP here: Riiiight. Forgot about that. Would be a nightmare with the half-dressed females in the family and getting flak for "making" people go to a religious place. Thanks for answering, though!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
off topic but why do people write GO!! after asking something? Makes me nervous. Wink

They think its cute and quirky. Others (myself included) think its obnoxious.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 12:42 pm
My grandparents used to host a large extended family vacation every year. The grandkids have a pretty large age range and everyone has different styles and interests. We went to this place one year and it was a big hit. http://www.nemacolin.com.

After that trip they switched to somewhere warm but everyone had a lot of fun. You can rent hotel rooms all the way to town houses. You can bring your own food and your relatives can do what they want in terms of eating. You fly into Pittsburgh which is pretty easy.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 1:24 pm
I never go to a hotel when I go to new hampshire. We rent a vacation home (not kosherized we bring a burner and a toaster), and the local price chopper carries kosher items. If you dont keep cy it's really easy. If you do keep c'y, you can plan where you stay in new hampshire and you can get cy in bethlehem, new hampshire.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
They think its cute and quirky. Others (myself included) think its obnoxious.

It's downright rude.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics