Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to stop a fight or flight reaction when kids fighting

thegiver

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 11:28 pm
I usually hear the little one shrieking and assure myself its not an emergency. The older one keeps teasing kicking hitting throwing things at and knocking over the toys of and sitting on the little one. They are two years apart. How do I not overreact? How do I make the pain infliction stop? How do u model calmness and decency when u are raging inside?

thegiver

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 11:31 pm
I usually either walk out for a mommy time out with the toddler or teach the older one what it feels like to be teased etc. I know its not addressing the issue. Help!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 12:01 am
Are you able to gently put your hands on his hands and hold them with love for a moment? The tender little body has so much emotion bubbling up in him, he might just be soothed by the presence of a gentle loving caress.

Now for the practical advice, and something that's helped me enormously: I learned to track my bodily sensations and was able to eventually shift from anger to love. It helps to have the support of a somatic experiencing practitioner. It was a game-changer for me. I wasted years in therapy with a psychodynamic moneysucker. A few sessions of SE shifted me from anger to love. Totally worth the investment!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 11:03 am
I don't give a cuddle for hitting a sibling, NO.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics